classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alfa 6C query
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Alfa 6C query Reply with quote

Can anyone help with his gent's search?

---

I have just seen your website with interest on the Alpha Romeo 6C 1750. I am interested in tracing the history of a particular car which belonged to a family relative with the aim of establishing the exact model, when he acquired it and hopefully where it is now.

I was very fortunate in that Beaulieu Motor Museum archive had photos of my exact car and they told me it was a 6C 1750, the registration plate was GJ 78 which from your website means it was registered in London in summer 1930. There is evidence that my relative certainly owned the car by 1960 and it was sold on his death in 1979.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Cargy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the enquirer’s relative was the Dr. H. (Horace) Cameron-Wright, the name appearing on the photo, it was probably him driving a Delage Tourer south at 10pm on the Great north Road near Tempsford Bridge, Bedfordshire on 6th May 1939 when he crashed it. His address was given as Tempsford Hall, soon to become a WWII S.O.E. base.

His Delage collided with the offsides of a Morris car and a Bedford van heading north and a Ford 8 he was attempting to overtake. He admitted it was his fault, driving at 35m.p.h, not slowing down and misjudging the gap between them. No one was hurt but he was fined £5 with £6 12s. 6d. costs and had his license endorsed on Friday, 9th June 1939, by Bedford Division Sessions, for “driving to the danger of the public”.

His car reportedly had “offside damage” and surely on the nearside too, given the damage to all the other vehicles. Was the Alpha Romeo 1750 bought to replace the crocked Delage?

Given Dr. Cameron-Wright’s subsequent heroically dangerous but fruitful research at the Royal Naval Physiological Laboratory, for which he was awarded an OBE, “fast” driving in sports cars would seem in character.
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing the car at VSCC meetings, possibly owned by Angela Cherrett; it looks like it is now in America:

Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off that photograph, I'd say that's more likely Australia than America. The ubiquitous gum trees in the background and that purple Holden Torana are not things you usually see in America. The silver SUV to the top left is the newest thing I can identify and I believe its a 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser which gives us a rough date for the oldest the image can be, that gives us an oldest date if true for the image.

The other hint of it being Australia is the outfit of the chap nearest the camera, that combination of hat, checked shirt, bodywarmer, and that cut of jeans is borderline stereotype for Australia and not the kind of outfit I'd expect to see in America.

The Datsun also has no mirror on the left hand side. Admittedly, it could be an import, or modified to be European/Japanese spec, but my suspicion there is it's actually right hand drive. If I could see a number plate, or more detail of the cars in the line up, I could find more things that would say what country it is better. The contents of that shopping bag, and the bag itself, by the Alfa's front wheel would also help since perishables and shopping bags rarely travel far from origin in that context.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably of no use, but the only owner of a 6C that I have known was Richard Walker of VSCC fame.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent deduction, vulgalor! Further research suggests the photo was taken at the 2018 Historic Winton event, so, yes, Australia.
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent deductions Vulgalour and MikeC.

Up until a couple of years ago all supermarkets over here would pack one's purchases in throwaway plastic bags. These were banned and replaced by use-again bags. The green one by the Alfa's front wheel looks like a Woolworths use-again bag. In that case the year 2018 would be about right.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSI:Miami has got nothing on us!
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely for your information Vulgalour, classic cars in Australia almost never have rear vision mirrors on the mudguards over the front wheels, unless they are older cars brought over from the UK. Our rear vision mirrors are mounted either on the doors or very close to the windscreen pillars.

I'll probably be swamped with exceptions to this statement, but forward mounted mirrors on classic cars would certainly be extremely rare.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: