classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

windscreen wipers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,, if you had asked me a year ago about how the restoration was going I would have said it would be all over by Christmas! Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So only another four years to go!

Peter Shocked
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
So only another four years to go!

Peter Shocked

Many a true word spoken in Jest, Peter. Unfortunately the chap entrusted with panelling the body is "in a bad way" in hospital. Not Covid related. (yet Rolling Eyes )

If the guy is unable to panel my frame (which is sitting in his workshop) I may have to get it delivered here and attempt to do it myself. I have been encouraged by several other TC restorers who have achieved good result by themselves and had several offers of help.

The new seat is also still being made and so the trimmers are also left in limbo. In the meantime they have sent me the plywood backings for interior side panels and door cards for a more accurate finish but I can't do anything until the body is delivered.

I am also waiting for the new dashboard which has been made by the fame maker; ordered thinking it would be more convenient than making my own - although I do have the drawings - so all the electrics are half finished.

The winter weather has not been good enough to be getting on with prep and paint of wings/ bonnet etc so I my wife has set me to work on the garden.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you reposition the wipers to below the windscreen, would you not render it difficult, or impossible, to lay the screen flat, it the best 'sporty' mode?
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roverdriver wrote:
If you reposition the wipers to below the windscreen, would you not render it difficult, or impossible, to lay the screen flat, in the best 'sporty' mode?

So long as the blades can lay flat at rest on the scuttle then there should be no problem with lowering the screen. It works O.K. with the TF. However, I am quite happy for wiser council to point out the error of my ways and I expect I shall leave it as is.

As it happens, if you lower the screen you would still need to fit aero screens and that would be another £200 which I can now ill afford; besides, I don't like having two thicknesses of glass to look through.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always move it to the centre of the screen and use two short rods to each wiper, that way it won’t be directly in front of the driver or passenger.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
You could always move it to the centre of the screen and use two short rods to each wiper, that way it won’t be directly in front of the driver or passenger.

That's not a bad idea, actually; except I have just taken the screen to be plated! I should have thought about it before.

I am being drawn towards fitting aero screens. The full screen would only be raised (by necessity) with the hood up; therefore an improved risk benefit analysis (as Alastair might say! )

In fine weather the aero screens would be sufficient. Other owners say they love them and on the occasions when the hood and main screen are raised there is no problem in seeing through two panes of glass.

( I have a plan on how I might be able to swap some surplus spares for the screens so making them affordable). Very Happy
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aero screens ought to be able to fold down....Mine did...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: