classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Trafficators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Trafficators Reply with quote

A few weeks ago i had a problem with one of my trafficators.
It didn't take long to discover that the very thin, very flexible and very old cotton covered (i think) wire that goes up to the arm to the festoon lamp had finally fractured after many decades.
I replaced it with the thinnest bit of modern red multi strand wire I could find (see pictures).
The problem with this wire is that it is,
a) too stiff and prevents the arm closing down all the way without a push from a finger and
b) its just failed again. you can see where its chafed through where its crimped and shorted out on the frame.
So,
Can someone advise where I can obtain a short length of the correct wire please?
Thanks
Mike

Minxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue you may well have is that the cotton covered cable available today is regular cable with a cosmetic covering of cloth. Someone may know of a supplier of genuine cloth wire (i.e old stock) or may have replaced a loom in an older car and have the old loom they may chop a piece out for you although these options may mean the cable is stiff through age.

I have some modern cloth cable if you only want a short piece to try but it is quite stiff.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for electric test meter leads. The insulation on those are often very flexible or cores from Data cables such as Ethernet Cat 6 or similar.

Last edited by Peter_L on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second Peters suggestion in using a meter lead, probably cheaper than purchasing a similar length of flex.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find a hobby shop with suitable wire. Model railways require some thin and very flexible wires.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. That's given me something to think about.
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son had a bit of thin flexible silicone insulated wire left over from when he built his r/c drone which he donated.
I snipped off a bit of ink reservoir tube from a ball point pen to make a grommet/bush to hopefully prevent chafing. Its back in place now.
Also,
Ive been using the LED flashing lamps shown in the picture after hearing about them on this website. Very good replacement for the old festoon bulb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: