classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1937 Talbot 3-Litre "garage find"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Vulgalour wrote:

When you describe the paint as gunmetal it actually makes me wonder if my eyes or my monitor setting is off because it looks slightly green to me.

I can certainly see the greenish tint in the photo above but I think this must simply be a reflection of the light source.

You know what, it's probably the massive green truck next to it isn't it? It clearly looks not-green in that outdoor shot.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that I need to cut back a bit on vehicles needing lots of work, and re-balance things more towards cars that I can use from the off. I think the Commer will be going later in the year, and I've decided to part with the Talbot. Getting it to run and drive was a great feeling but there's plenty to do in order for it to become road-ready and reliable. I'll advertise it shortly and see if anyone's keen to take on the remainder of the work, I've a - smaller - replacement in mind for it already (!).

The other problem is that it's a bit of a squeeze getting it into the garage and every time I move it, I'm very nervous about clipping big Dodge with it as the visibility out isn't ideal. This is why I ended up storing the AA outside, as that too was a very very tight fit alongside the jolly green giant, and if I clobbered the latter I'd be very peeved indeed.

If it doesn't sell then I'll look again at what's here and what I'd let go, but the plan right now is to test the water with the T and see what happens.

RJ
Farmer John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Talbot Reply with quote

Hi Rick, now there is some cool clear thinking. For all itís magnificence there is a lot of time to be spent to get the Talbot to your driving standard. You have done the vital work in getting it out of storage and running well enough to assess accurately any remaining work.
John
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Talbot Reply with quote

Farmer John wrote:
Hi Rick, now there is some cool clear thinking. For all itís magnificence there is a lot of time to be spent to get the Talbot to your driving standard. You have done the vital work in getting it out of storage and running well enough to assess accurately any remaining work.
John

Thanks John. I just need to re-balance things and cut back on the work to-do list a bit, it can be the same running the site sometimes.

RJ
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sad thing about you parting with the Talbot is that we probably won't get to see more updates and videos on the magnificent old thing. Once you get over 3 cars, trying to keep on top of everything can be almost impossible without help even when they're in good order.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My late father would frequently come out with quotations and perhaps high on my list of the unforgettable was Socrates ..."Better to do a little well, then a great deal badly."

I think of that when moving from one "not quite finished" project to something new. I would guess there are many who do the same, the "new" is novel, exciting and of course "new".

Looking from the outside, now that we have been able to visually share Rick's projects, my opinion.. "Little Dodge" is a keeper... it looks good, it is usable and would never look out of place at any show. "Big Dodge", it has to be either a "keeper" or donated /sold to a worthy and solid museum/archive. It drips nostalgia, it has provenance, it is likely among the few of its kind.
The truck, I like, trucks are cute and fun. The Morris is another Morris and the Commer will always sit in the shadow of the Jolly Green Giant.

May I ask... what would the next generation like to inherit ???
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
May I ask... what would the next generation like to inherit ???

Everything I think, apart from the MGB which he has no time for at all being a rubber-bumper car Smile

RJ
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:
The only sad thing about you parting with the Talbot is that we probably won't get to see more updates and videos on the magnificent old thing. Once you get over 3 cars, trying to keep on top of everything can be almost impossible without help even when they're in good order.

Don't worry I have a replacement lined up which should be of interest, but one that is already on the road. The aim isn't so much to reduce numbers, as I like being surrounded by these old stagers, more to lift the overall condition bar so that more of them are usable from the get-go.

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shame Rick but I totally understand where you're coming from.

I like you have quite a few vehicles but only 2 or 3 are actually roadworthy, when I look at what is required on some, chassis up rebuilds, it does sometimes make me wonder whats the best thing to do
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why you have arrived at your conclusion, Rick.

The Talbot really was a bit of a cuckoo in the nest.

IIRC, it arrived more by accident than by design?

The Morris arrived because the Talbot deal had become dormant...but then it was resurrected.....and it is difficult to refuse what was initially a 'first decision' all that time ago?

Space really is an issue, especially as one gets older. One simply becomes unable to squeeze oneself into the tiny gaps one used to ?

What you really need is a big box of round tuitts?

{Preferably not metric round tuitts?]

There is a fine line between ''oily rag'' motors, and ''rolling restorations?''

Or, maybe there isn't??

Oily ragstorations?

In my ever so 'umble view , a raggy oilystation really has to be 'driven' almost as a daily driver?

Otherwise it will become simply another 'barn-find'...? Use it or lose it, as the previous generations would be wont to say?

I'd be reluctant to drive a full restoration very much, for fear of wear & tear..?]

The Talbot probably would have survived in your plan if it had come along when first mooted, eh? But the big Dodge really also needs to be not hidden away.....

Edit....Incidentally, in my view, the rubber bumper MGB might have made a really excellent, cheap daily workhorse...especially if a GT?
Certainly their reduced values [IE, could be had real cheap?] made them an ideal ''user' to give that old driving experience? I was a type I was seriously considering when I gave up work [some say, retired?]...the prices from local dealers being such that, with a bit of judicious inspection, a good ''user'' could be found?

Never mind what they looked like.....for a user that isn't important.

The slightly raised ride height is a boon on rural back lanes too...[and if one wants to take in the occasional Reliability trial?]

Plus, there are one or two really nice looking 'kits' of F & R bumper replacements to really give the car a smoother look? If a bit of rubber is a worry? All in all, probably a more useable motorcar than an earlier B?
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help thinking that the Talbot - like the Morris 8 - are in safe hands at the moment. Rick, you have a special "feel" for originality that I fear may be lost with a new owner.

Having said that I worry for the future of the Talbot in the wrong hands, I am unable to put my own money where my mouth is. Embarassed
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I can't help thinking that the Talbot - like the Morris 8 - are in safe hands at the moment. Rick, you have a special "feel" for originality that I fear may be lost with a new owner.

Having said that I worry for the future of the Talbot in the wrong hands, I am unable to put my own money where my mouth is. Embarassed

Once they're out of your hands, they're out of your control, I try not to think too much about it but I think it'd find a good home.

This morning I did a quick vid in the garden, talking about all this in a bit more depth.

https://youtu.be/2K96vJLqT28

RJ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly heartfelt choice for you Rick. I liked your analogy with rescue animals..."pick me, save me". One reason why I don't visit Dog and Cat rescue centres!

I also understand - as I am sure many enthusiasts will - your dilemma regarding too many time consuming restoration projects and the space required.

There have been times when my TC rebuild has become a burden because of extensive delays and huge expense so I know what you are going through.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
A truly heartfelt choice for you Rick. I liked your analogy with rescue animals..."pick me, save me". One reason why I don't visit Dog and Cat rescue centres!

I also understand - as I am sure many enthusiasts will - your dilemma regarding too many time consuming restoration projects and the space required.

There have been times when my TC rebuild has become a burden because of extensive delays and huge expense so I know what you are going through.

I'm acutely aware that this is very much "first world problems" territory so I hope it doesn't come across as wanting sympathy. What I didn't want though was for it to go up for sale out of the blue, leaving people who've followed progress so far, and who perhaps joined the forum or subscribed to the YT channel, wondering what the h*ll I'm doing Smile

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view is that we are all custodians of our heritage, it doesnt matter if you have 1 or 10 vehicles. Saving them is the most important thing, if that means keeping it or passing it on to another enthusiast who will then restore it thats what matters.

Simply put its another vehicle saved.
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: