classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1937 Morris 8 Series 1 - new addition here at OCC HQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Author Message
alastairq



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Posts: 1541
Location: East Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to gummed piston rings?

A chum[a very experienced large vehicle mechanic---as-was]... got some Wynn's oil additive on an offer, and chucked a can into the sump of his old Series 3 Landy...which ran nicely enough, but burnt oil like no tomorrow.
{this too is a real oil raggy jobby...straight from field to road...almost]

Anyway, his opinion is, what had he to lose?
Apparently, the oil consumption has dropped considerably, and the engine runs even smoother. Tickover would put a field marshal to shame...

Anyway, just a thought...for the price of a costa coffee?
_________________
Dellow Mk2, 1951 built, reg 1952.
Ford Mustang coupe, 1967, 6 cylinder auto.
Fiat 126 BIS
Cannon special [1996 registered. Built in 1950's]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SwallownAmazon



Joined: 22 Oct 2018
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
One question I have about the plug leads that you made up is do they affect TV reception? It would seem you have no interference suppression with those ends?

I think there was something that could be done about it but I can't remember it now.


Just signed up to this forum as I have a 1937 Morris 8 that I have just got back on the road after sitting for 25 years in my garage. One of the lesser jobs was to suppress the ignition leads with NGK plug caps. Not original I know but needs must....... I also fitted a 5,000 ohm suppressor in the coil HT lead and there in now no interference whatever with the engine running. The thyristor across the fuel pump points also helps in that respect.

My car has several mods to improve comfort:
USHM 3 engine and four-speed gearbox
12v starting with an additional 6v battery
12v power supply to the interior for the radio and USB charging point
LED exterior lights
Flashing indicators in addition to the trafficators
etc...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SwallownAmazon



Joined: 22 Oct 2018
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea why my post "triple posted! Embarassed
All I did was post and got a PHP error message. I then went to the previous page to see what happened and then went back to the main menu.
Weird. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21786
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwallownAmazon wrote:
No idea why my post "triple posted! Embarassed
All I did was post and got a PHP error message. I then went to the previous page to see what happened and then went back to the main menu.
Weird. Rolling Eyes


Welcome to the forum, yes it does that for some reason on an irregular basis.

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ukdave2002



Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 3667
Location: South Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwallownAmazon wrote:
Ray White wrote:
One question I have about the plug leads that you made up is do they affect TV reception? It would seem you have no interference suppression with those ends?

I think there was something that could be done about it but I can't remember it now.


Just signed up to this forum as I have a 1937 Morris 8 that I have just got back on the road after sitting for 25 years in my garage. One of the lesser jobs was to suppress the ignition leads with NGK plug caps. Not original I know but needs must....... I also fitted a 5,000 ohm suppressor in the coil HT lead and there in now no interference whatever with the engine running. The thyristor across the fuel pump points also helps in that respect.

My car has several mods to improve comfort:
USHM 3 engine and four-speed gearbox
12v starting with an additional 6v battery
12v power supply to the interior for the radio and USB charging point
LED exterior lights
Flashing indicators in addition to the trafficators
etc...


Most ignition cable sold these days is resistive, so can be plumbed in without anything else, if it isn't you can add a resistor as SwallowAmazon has done.

Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ray White



Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 4215
Location: Derby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a "suppressor" the same as a "resistor" the same as a thyristor, the same as a transil, the same as a diode, the same as a varistor???

This is why I get confused with electrics.

That and because I am a bit thick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
peter scott



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 6578
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Is a "suppressor" the same as a "resistor" the same as a thyristor, the same as a transil, the same as a diode, the same as a varistor???

This is why I get confused with electrics.

That and because I am a bit thick.


Short answer is no.

The suppressors in car ignition leads are resistors but not all resistors are used as suppressors. All the other devices you list have their own function and they are not just other names for the same device.

Peter
_________________
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk
1939 SS Jaguar 2 litre saloon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21786
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

I've been catching up with a few jobs on the M8 this week. The job list at the moment is to give it another oil change, check compressions, and start having a poke around underneath and also look at the rest of the running gear (brakes etc). It's now up on stands so that this next list of tasks can be attacked.

A bit more about all this now uploaded here:
https://youtu.be/yFNYLfq-Vqw


RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rick
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 21786
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening I made a start on stripping down the front brakes, so far it's been coming apart reasonably easily. The front linings don't look too worn but obviously I'll be replacing flexis and attending to the wheel and master cylinders as required. The end of the hydraulic pipe closest to the flexi appears to be copper.

RJ
_________________
Rick (OCC Admin)
Various 1920s-1960s - Austin, Morris, Commer, Dodge etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bjacko



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 128
Location: Melbourne Australia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Brake system Reply with quote

All the pipes were copper originally. Note that most of the threads are USA
because Lockheed was a US company and even though the parts were made in UK they are mostly US threads. Also be careful not to lose the very thin washers each side of banjo connection etc. While you have them apart get the wheel cylinders and master cylinder sleeved with stainless steel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Forum T&C


php BB powered © php BB Grp.