classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Engine oil to use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Engine oil to use Reply with quote

I have managed to confuse myself, I have decided to use a mono grade oil in my recently rebuilt 1934 Austin engine. But I am unsure which grade to go for. My chosen brand is Comma who supply a SAE 30 but they say it’s for winter use, the SAE 40 grade would be the next choice but the spec’ tell me this is a ‘multi grade ‘. What to do?
Thanks
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are certainly seeking to experience all aspects of vintage motoring.

Peter.
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s my age getting to me, been vintage motoring for about twenty odd years, seem to be forgetting more than learning, Embarassed
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-Golden-Film-SAE-40

Above as an example, but good stuff all the same...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go to the Comma web page and fill in the "Ask an expert" question form, Or better still, phone them up and ask for tech support. They wil know.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a straight 40 grade in my Austin Seven all year round, but, yes, it would be usual to use 40 in the summer, and 30 in the winter.

If the oil is described as SAE 40 then it is not a multigrade oil; all multigrade oils are described with their hot and cold ratings, like 20/50, 10/30, or whatever.

With a pre-war engine with non-full-flow filtration, be very careful of using a modern high-detergent oil. If you are starting from scratch with a newly-rebuilt engine, and you know that all the oilways have been thoroughly cleaned out, then fine, but any residual contamination will soon be flushed out and may well clog the filter gauze without you realising it. This was the result of using a modern oil without thought in my Appia; the resulting engine rebuild was very expensive!

old iron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
You could go to the Comma web page and fill in the "Ask an expert" question form, Or better still, phone them up and ask for tech support. They wil know.

Yup I did just that and they came back on email very quickly. They advised SAE 40 for summer and SAE 30 for winter. I purchased two gallons of their brand.

Thanks to all contributors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: