classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cleaning Wire Wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Wire Wheels Reply with quote

This has been a really tedious task for me in the past. I had tried spray on type domestic products but any that I did try were ineffective.

My wife wanted our patio slabs cleaned so I thought I might buy a pressure washer. Many years ago I bought one for car washing and it was useless. It looked OK when the car was wet but not after it had dried. I took it back to the shop and got my money back.

Anyway I thought products might have improved in the interim and took advice from a friend who used to service pressure washers. This resulted in me buying one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb2200prw-150bar-electric-high-pressure-washer-2-2kw-230v/165kh

It was very effective on the slabs but I had hoped it might be good on the wire wheels too. In some respects it was, it even removed the paint in places where a tiny rust spot had cause the paint to lose adhesion but it still didn't leave the wheels sparking clean.

Back to my pressure washer friend and he recommended this spray on product: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224127283843

Having failed with spray on cleaners in the past I was very sceptical but I must admit that leaving the sprayed wheels for 3 minutes and then rinsing them with the pressure washer has done an excellent job. I didn't need to use the brush at all.

I have no connection with either product, financial or otherwise but can highly recommend both.

Peter
old iron

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased Titan products previously for DIY work and have always been very pleased with my purchases. Strong robust equipment that doesn’t break down after 12 months. I will certainly be purchasing the power washer.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Titan/Screwfix angle grinder on the go at the moment. It's not the nicest tool to use and there are several odd bits that I think could have been designed better; but it has outlasted blue Bosch and Makita grinders and came with a much longer mains lead than either, usefully long so that using an extension lead isn't a foregone conclusion. I can't help feeling that the big tool brands have lost their way a bit.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why, when the chrome wire wheels died, I changed to painted, and they are a lot easier to keep clean than chrome! I'll give that product a try though Peter. Thanks for the post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: