classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Oh dear a breakdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth? [Electrical, not garden variety?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
old iron

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
old iron wrote:
Out for a drive yesterday, new shiny SU fuel pump fitted and covered about 150 miles since fitting. Pootling along at a steady 40/45 mph and the dreaded
spluttering of the engine leading to another breakdown Embarassed
This time I had a good idea what to do and tapped the SU fuel pump a few times and then heard it started to work again. Off I go to continue my journey.
Question is this is a new fuel pump, surely I should expect it to perform well for at least a few years ??

Considering contacting SU.
It will be the throw set a tad to tight, if you knock it back by one "screw" it should be fine & take less time than to send it back to Burlen Smile .

Dave

Thanks ukdave for info’ showing my ignorance but what/where is the ‘throw set’ adjuster to be found on the pump?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say "new" SU pump, but do you mean "new" or "new to you" or "new old stock"? I think you'll find that Burlen stopped making the pointd-fed pump quite some time ago, read years. The only ones I have had (three in four years because I have helped people out with my spare) have all been electronic, including one that automatically detects polarity. Just a tip for you though. A 7/8th AF is the perfect tool when you need to tap it Wink
old iron

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
You say "new" SU pump, but do you mean "new" or "new to you" or "new old stock"? I think you'll find that Burlen stopped making the pointd-fed pump quite some time ago, read years. The only ones I have had (three in four years because I have helped people out with my spare) have all been electronic, including one that automatically detects polarity. Just a tip for you though. A 7/8th AF is the perfect tool when you need to tap it Wink

A brand new SU pump from Burlens, needless to say I was driving along the very busy A14 dual carriageway when the dang thing decided to stop play, lucky I was able to coast into a lay-by this time.
Have to admit to getting down hearted, add to my woes that my breakdown rescue service, which I joined six weeks ago, couldn’t find me on their system so I had to pay to join again. I have emailed them today to investigate and resolve.
I’ve checked my tool bag and made sure I have that 7/8th AF Very Happy
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the answer. Carry two pumps (I always did, cleaning points and recycling) and two 7/8ths AF spanners. Don't let the bar stewards grind you down!
old iron

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to box up an emergency kit box to carry around, spares like coil, points, fan belt, spark plugs, fuel pump. Some soft wire and of course a clothes peg Very Happy Not forgetting my breakdown recovery membership card!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:

Burlen still produce pumps with points, the suffix to the part number is the give away eg an AUE25 is a low pressure (bulkhead mount) pump with points, as fitted to loads of British vehicles, it doesn't care about polarity (unless some one has fitted a diode to protect points) , The same pump with an "EN" suffix has some electronics to replace the points and is for negative earth, you can figure out what the "EP" suffix stands for!

old iron wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
old iron wrote:

Considering contacting SU.
It will be the throw set a tad to tight, if you knock it back by one "screw" it should be fine & take less time than to send it back to Burlen Smile .

Dave

Thanks ukdave for info’ showing my ignorance but what/where is the ‘throw set’ adjuster to be found on the pump?

There is a video on the page below that shows how to rebuild and set the pump up that will illustrate the set up far better than I could ever describe it!. We have sold dozens of pumps and a few have not been set up correctly from new.

All pumps should have this adjustment checked periodically, to avoid the clout with a 7/8" spanner! Smile

https://morrisregisterspares.co.uk/product/epk700-service-kit-su-fuel-pumps/
old iron

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invaluable, thanks again UKdave
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'd have thought that a pukka mechanic hitting a British car of that age would have used a BSF spanner rather than AF.

Peter Shocked
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, out of curiosity, what is the code for the "doesn't matter what polarity" pump?
old iron

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
So, out of curiosity, what is the code for the "doesn't matter what polarity" pump?

I purchased the low pressure bulkhead fitted pump coded AUA25
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
There isn't one as that would be all the original points based pumps that only become polarity sensitive if a suppressor diode was fitted, and then it is a simple job to reverse the diode if required.

To the best of my knowledge SU never made an electronic dual polarity pump?

Dave
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh they did you know. What with people turning up here desperate to find a pump/brake light switch/carb union gaskets/anything I always have spare parts lying around. People take it and fit it and to date everyone has been honest and sent me a new one to replace the one they took. The dual polarity one was torn apart and the mounting part ditched and the pump part married to an XK140 mount. So, I went out to the garage to see what was sent to replace it and find that - typical of that person - I have a negative earth pump when he knows I have a positive earth car. No matter, I've reverted to an immersed pump system anyway. And perhaps you are now right. Here is the leaflet enclosed with the pump:-

No mention of a dual polarity.
old iron

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To round off this thread, sent the pump back to burlens and they soak tested for four hours, no fault found. So it’s on its way back to me now, at least I will have my car running for Bank Holiday. (fingers crossed) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: