classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Disposing of old oil. 1963
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Disposing of old oil. 1963 Reply with quote

I Googled this image and found several comments, but two of them stand out.

1: Oil came from the ground, now we are putting it back.

2: USA. Unsurfaced Roads were sprayed with old oil to reduce dust.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that one before, I can't imagine that this approach would meet with glowing approval from the Environment Agency ..... Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a previous house we lived in, our neighbour used to park his land rover over the road gully and drop the sump oil into the drain,!
Didn’t live there long thankfully.

Kev
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try living in the country where there is no main drainage and you have a septic tank. We are supposed to upgrade to a full-blown water treatment plant so water is purified and can be allowed to run into the streams, or in our case have a new well installed. Total cost in the region of £15,000. Rules are getting tighter and tighter wherever you look.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of my life I did my own oil changes. I found a few uses for the used product- Paint a wooden fence periodically Preserves the wood. When preparing fence posts, or any post (build a shed etc.) soak the lower part of the post in the oil before 'planting' it, Coating old machinery stored outside, and lighting bonfires! (I have mostly lived in rural areas.)
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
In a previous house we lived in, our neighbour used to park his land rover over the road gully and drop the sump oil into the drain,!
Didn’t live there long thankfully.

Kev

A couple of guys I work with - the cowboy element, essentially - have admitted to draining sump oil over an open manhole. I don't imagine Welsh Water would think much of that; but surely karma is ready to strike back - lost count of how many times I must have dropped the sump plug into the can of warm black old oil and had to fish it out again...

I always managed to find a use for the stuff though, either rustproofing or wood treatment. Someone did tell me it was carcinogenic (what isn't these days?) but many DIY sheds will sell you a creosote substitute that looks, smells, pours and brushes on exactly like old sump oil Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: