classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Freeing a seized engine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Freeing a seized engine Reply with quote

Ok, as mentioned elsewhere, I plan to start freeing off the engine in the grey ute. So far I've established that there is a little movement when I grab & try to rotate the bottom pulley. I found a starting handle that fitted, but no more success so far. I've only just started on this, so far:

- brake fluid down each plug hole, followed by neat (not aerosol) WD40
- rocker cover off, and WD down each valve in case one or more is stuck

Other thoughts:

- try a drop of diesel or coke down each bore
- maybe check the mains/big ends in case it is stuck there (I can't remember what the oil was like on the dipstick, so that'll tell me something about the bottom end I suspect)
- remove the head for a closer look at the state of the bores

Any other brilliant ideas to try if none of these work?? preferably non-destructive Wink

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

If you've tried all the easy things then the next step has to be removing the crankshaft. Once you've done that then you are able to address each piston in turn without the others adding assistance to the immoveable one you are working on. Get a nice big block of wood that covers most of the piston area and hit it with the heaviest hammer you've got. Most of the seizure will be from the top rings and the relationship between piston crown and top rings is pretty strong so don't worry about damaging the pistons.

Good luck,

Peter
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More...

I know that taking the head off and dropping the crank probably sounds a load of work, but if the engine is seized due to lack of use then it will most probably be because of moisture corroding the rings. If you don't remove the pistons from the block then the rings will probably remain seized in their grooves even if you manage to free them from the cylinder walls. Clearly this will result in poor compressions and high oil consumption.

Apologies if this is in the suck eggs category. Neutral

Peter
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own method is to drop the oil, then remove the plugs and use ATF. Leave it over a weekend or longer if possible.

Then, as Peter says, remove the head, spray on WD40, and warm the tops of the pistons. If it is possible, remove the rods from the crank. make sure that its possible to get hold of the spares that you need before this though. Then, gently, place a block of wood on the pistons, and tap them. Note the word GENTLY!

Bet you its nr:3 cylinder thats stuck.... Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I know that taking the head off and dropping the crank probably sounds a load of work

Presumably Rick you will be taking the head & crank off at some stage anyway?
So Peter’s advice should save time in the long term, as you won’t for example be hammering non seized pistons Smile
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is possible to remove the rods from the crank, then there is no need to remove the crank. Doing that will also show which piston(s) are seized or not...

UK: Note that I didnt say ''hammer'' but ''tap gently''
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you wont be able to disconnect any of the rods if there is more than one pistion seized (unless they are non-opposing pistons). That's why it usually comes down to a need to remove the crank.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
UK: Note that I didnt say ''hammer'' but ''tap gently''

UJ.. Noted, my father in law manages to gently tap stuff and sort it when I would have resorted to a lump hammer!!! guess that expirience!

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have allways given things light taps, but have allways been told off, give it a good whollop they say, I gues that is the agricultural, blacksmithing and boiler making trades! hehe

New years resoloution is to be more heavy handed, think I may succeed this year! Laughing Wink

Cheers

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Can you lift the front enough to get a longer lever onto the starter handle receiver's Hexagon?

You might even be able to Tap/Wallop the lever, if you can get one on there.
woljags

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way to deseize an engine is to remove the plugs and fill the bores with diesel topping up over a 2 weeks period.it works every time i try it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently F1 engines are siezed when cold & before they can be started hot coolent is pumped through and warm oil added, it did strike me that heat is great way of freeing other siezed components, don't know how practical it would be to get soime heat in your seized block, just to ease things on.

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat is certainly very good but for an engine block you do need an awful lot.

Applying it on the outside is a bit soul destroying as the separation of the water jacket is unhelpful. Applying it directly into the bores is better but you still have the spinning plates problem keeping them all hot and of course you don't know which cylinders are seized. Ideally you'd want to heat the walls and cool the piston. I haven't tried using freezer spray but it might help.

Peter
woljags

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not try warm water in the cooling system
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seized F1 engines are not due to rust and lying idle for many years, but due to very tight tolerances when built, therefore warming up would expand parts enough to losen off and turn over.

Warming an engine that is seized due to lying idle and rust would not in my opinion release it as the rust is the key factor here.

Diesel down the bores would be my prefered method and keep topping up for a couple of weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: