classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Owning a Rare Car: Worth the Effort?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Owning a Rare Car: Worth the Effort? Reply with quote

My recent tour of Cape Cod in the '32 Chevy was a critical test to see if I would keep it, or sell and buy a Ford Model A. It passed the test and will remain . . . for now. Finding parts for it is a laborious process, often taking months to find things readily available from many vintage Ford vendors for the A. And the Chevy parts are two to three times the expense. I enjoy being the only early Chevy at events where there may be dozens of Model A's on display. But it is definitely a more intense process to keep this beast running reliably. Is it worth the effort?
Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I am rather surprised that you have problems getting parts for your Chevy, especially within the US. How many parts does it need? There must be more old Chevy's in Oz than I thought, because we have a large following here in WA.

I have had my 1926 Chrysler back on the road for about fifteen years and have needed almost no new parts. Consumables like plugs, points, batteries and tyres are not a problem, and I've needed nothing else. I frequently use this car for large distances in country Western Australia where there are no repair facilities. eg Perth to Albany or Perth to Geraldton, over 400km each way, in both cases.

The Ford Model A is certainly a very good car, but with so many on the road, they can become rather boring. I would always go for a car that is "different" from everything else around it, even if it costs me a little more and is harder to get parts.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gone for the rare car, not least because demand is low so also are purchase prices; so I can have the pleasure of something different whilst also saving money. Of course, it comes back to bite you when parts are not available, or only at a huge mark-up, and of course the resale value is still low when I come to change it, but yes, it's all worth it
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thoughts with my 24 Dodge, finding parts isn't always straightforward and owning an A would be a lot easier, with a choice of suppliers here in the UK let alone in the USA. But I much prefer the look of the Dodge to the Model A, the latter looks a little "under-wheeled" to me, although if a Model A pickup came along, or an oily-rag Coupe ......

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one really 'likes' one's old car, then it's worth keeping, regardless of the value placed upon it by others?

There's possibly more to the ownership of a really old car, than the mere fact of being able to say, ''I own a vintage car?''

The problem of availability of spares is one which might well be the motivator for getting out and about at markets etc?

Owner's clubs take on a whole new importance.

Also, perhaps, scarcity of spares might lead to an increase in ingenuity, to overcome problems? Not just a shortage of income?

Like an old pair of perfectly serviceable boots, or that ancient but thoroughly practical waxed jacket, I'd be keeping it for what it is, to me [or you?}

On the upside, having that plethora of spares easily available leads us into a whole new world of quality and reliability issues?
Something that a scarcity probably avoids?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started thinking about this a few months ago after receiving a combined Ford Model T and Model A parts catalog in the mail. Browsing through the A sections, I saw parts it had taken me months to find, like an exhaust manifold, readily available for the A. But it's not that simple, is it.

As Alastair notes in his comments, as available quantity increases, quality can suffer. I once purchased a set of head bolts for the Model T that stretched rather than torqued. The vendor was quick to replace them with a suitable set, and was quite upset with his supplier.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I'm keeping the Chevrolet. But, when it comes to vintage cars, I do seem to have a wandering eye.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the interesting challenge of making your parts too.

Peter Wink
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one route for those who enjoy a challenge and another for those who don't. The correct route is the preferred one and it isn't a crime to change one's mind.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always gone after rarer cars and trucks, to me there is something nice about owning something different. Yes, parts are scarce and finding others to pattern from are difficult but when you turn up with something people haven't seen before it creates a great buzz.
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting perspectives on this subject. As someone who enjoys driving as much as maintaining, I'm attempting to strike a balance between the two. It's taken years to make the '32 Chevy a reliable driver, and I think it's there. But that's also a decision point because the best time to sell is when the car is running reliably. On the other hand, it's a time for one to enjoy the fruits of one's labor. In this case, I choose the latter . . . enjoy the car.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: interesting if not rare. Reply with quote

money is huge factor when choosing an old car but unless we have deep pockets are unlikely to buy out 'dream car'. I opted for last of chrome bumpers cars (70's) as recall these in my youth and aside form making mistake getting one not running and off road for over a decade ( paying ever since) spares are a major issue of one wants to enjoy driving it. never mind taking it to shows. old cars tend to be unreliable per se on average but looking back to days they were built ...they were never that reliable then! parts are a big issue for old cars as scarcity drive prices through roof or simply my no longer be around. remanufacturing is beyond most peoples skills or pocket depths in some cases. I chose my rover mainly as it appealed to me visually as well as technically. plus has room for 5 (last one a squeeze ) and can keep up with modern traffic even nearly 50 years later. for a beginner getting into classic car scene for example a popular choice is MGB circa 60's- 70's. as small sports cars appeal to almost all and easy to sell on plus parts supply is second to none and can exceed modern cars part supplies! one can even buy an entire new body shell plus ANY part is available and a heavy support section in forums etc . so end of day its up to each of us to choose what we want and why. one
mans meat etc.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am very lucky to own "Trundles", my 1930 Austin Swallow saloon. Maintenance is easy as almost everything is available for Austin Sevens but the Swallow coachwork is a challenge ...but not so rare as to be a problem. The Swallow is strewn with unique parts; like the ladies' companion set fitted to the glovebox lid and sidelights that likewise appear on no other car.

I have had many uplifting moments when a scarce part is found after sometimes years of searching. As a result I now own what is probably the most complete and original example out of some 80 survivors.

Another benefit of long term ownership of a rare car is you get to know every nut, bolt and screw which is indeed satisfying.

PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful car, Ray. I really like the great styling and unique accents. The split windscreen is especially nice as is the bold radiator shell. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Joe
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaJoe wrote:
That is a beautiful car, Ray. I really like the great styling and unique accents. The split windscreen is especially nice as is the bold radiator shell. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Joe

'
Thanks for your kind words, PapaJoe. Yes, she is a little gem which I have I have owned for 37 years. You might babe surprised, however, how small she is.
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a bit of a nightmare, especially if you’ve bought an abandoned project with loads of missing or incorrect parts! And the tantalising box in the rear footwell turns out to be full of random parts from other cars…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: