classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hayfever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Hayfever Reply with quote

I used to sympathise with friends and family who suffered with (or from?) Hayfever not realising the misery it caused them.
One of my nephews is a farmer and this time of year is hell on earth during "grass time". It doesn't matter if it's big bales, silage or "dry" small bales, he suffers.

I sympathised with him yearly and then, two years ago, I started sneezing in June through to September. It wasn't just sneezing; sore throats, runny eyes, mucus at the back of the throat, blocked ears and headaches. In the end I made an appointment to see our very able lady doctor and she diagnosed that I had developped or acquired Hayfever and prescribed a nasal spray to apply twice daily for most of the summer. It does help.

I had never had it before even though I have taken pride in a good flower display in the garden all these years and cut my own grassed areas.
"It just happens" she explained, and no-one really knows why.

Do you suffer from Hayfever? If you do, believe me, now from first hand experience I now know what you are going through.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antihistamine tablets.. I take 1 a night ( drowsy can be a side effect). Relieves the swelling and irritation of "bug bites" when one is working on one's vehicle during none-winter.

Posting related to motoring Smile
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifelong sufferer here, and it's definitely the grass pollen rather than tree pollen that gets to me. Antihistamines work up to a point, but for a big guy one pill daily doesn't really cut the mustard!

One thing that seems to have helped this year is eating local honey. Been reading about it for years, but always been skeptical. This last year I've found myself passing a roadside stand selling honey, not quite local but produced a few valleys to the west where the flora must be pretty similar to this valley. Tried some of this honey with no thoughts of hayfever in my mind and it's nice stuff, far better than anything to be had in the supermarkets, and I've been going back for more ever since... and this hayfever season has been far easier for me thus far than in previous years despite the usual doom-mongers prophesying pollen bombs, hayfever hell and all the rest of it. I'm not cured by any means, but my symptoms are fewer and milder and I don't seem to be getting through quite so many antihistamine pills as in a usual summer. Worth trying if local honey is available in your area, you don't need a lot but try and have a little every day, all year round, and see what happens. Think of it like the several historical tyrants who ate a little poison every day thinking to make themselves immune... Laughing
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information there BB. We have neighbours with acres of Blueberries for which they have hives and of course honey.. I will give it a try.. Information is king..
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I get it too, the occasional antihistamine keeps it in check and I've also read about local honey being a good idea.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a cynic I can't help wondering if 'eat local honey, it's good for you' is a sales ploy by UK producers. It wasn't so long ago we were advised that Manuka Honey, from New Zealand, had miraculous medicinal powers.

Fortunately my hay fever is bearable, just, so no need for 'additives'. Very Happy

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Penguin45

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was treated for hayfever for over 30 years, with little success. Just after Easter every year I'd be summoned by the doctors' for this years wonder drug, which might make a difference for a week or two.

A few years back, I was in the Health Centre, streaming, for another matter and the (new, young) doctor suggested as an aside that it might be a light sensitivity problem. Now, when the sun's out, I wear a cricket hat and shades if it's particularly bright and I'm absolutely fine.

Worth bearing in mind as the symptoms were exactly the same.

Chris.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hay fever varies from year to year.

For me it mainly affected my eyes. [To the extent I might actually be unable to see---temporarily}

I don't do anti hysteria means, as they make me feel light headed, and I don't do anything that will make me feel light headed. [I'm a control freak]

But I have been known to use suitable eye drops, which helped.
Much of my hay fever was accentuated by bright sunlight.
If I look up at a sunny blue sky, I promptly sneeze.

So to help my eyes, I would also wear [cheap] sunglasses. Whether this reduced the effect of bright sunlight, or simply, shielded the eyes from the blasts of natural stuff I don't know.
This year I've had almost no issues with hay fever. Despite being surrounded by fields and woods for many many miles....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Beconaise but ran into another allergy problem with it. I tried Piriton which was useless but my daughter recommended Cetrizine Hydrochloride. I take one tablet per day and it's reasonably effective.

Peter
Brent29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I used to use Beconaise but ran into another allergy problem with it. I tried Piriton which was useless but my daughter recommended Cetrizine Hydrochloride. I take one tablet per day and it's reasonably effective.

Peter

I'll tip my uncle with Cetrizine H when I visit him tomorrow for the installation of the bumper and bug deflectors on his truck. He's taking Piriton and it seems useless.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange this old thread should have come back up. I was in the local Tesco only today and, while looking for something else (isn't that always the way?), noticed they had packs of Fexofenadine tablets which is an antihistamine that used to be prescription only but now seems to be available over the counter. Might be worth investigating for anyone whose hayfever symptoms aren't controlled by the other options.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never suffered from hayfever until I moved from the south coast to the Midlands when I was 27, and then started taking antihistamines on advice from my doctor. Hayfever turned to asthma, and now I have several types of inhalers to take in the morning. I am now down to 60% of my lung capacity, which is of no real problem unless I exert myself too much. Can still play golf with very little problems at all.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can still play golf with very little problems at all.

Hmmm. I'm not sure of my personal lung capacity, but for all that, I really have considerable problems when playing golf!
Problem one! Actually hitting the ball....
Problem two:.......
Oh heck, I just gave up the losing battle in the end....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time I played off 2, now it is more like 222, but since I have gout in my right wrist - again - I shan't be playing at all for a while.Also awaiting a meeting with the knee surgeon on the 16th. I'm falling apart!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: