classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done you. If I had found that my Sykes Packavant spring compressors would not fit I think I would be left scratching my head.... Embarassed
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have been going on for months now but another afternoon of cleaning off muck and oil from the Commer chassis. So much gunk and crud thats taking screwdrivers and scrapers to prize off.

Its all done and painted from the rear to the back of the cab. Working on ths front hubs, springs and all the steering gear now, but the end of scraping is in sight.

Then its properly onto the bodywork and welding/fabrication.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran both cars yesterday, just to make sure they'd start. Last time I went out in the Sportshatch there was an issue with the fuel gauge in that it read higher when I got back than it had when I started the journey. As I'd also had a higher temperature than usual, I suspected the voltage regulator, so I swapped it for one I'd tested on the bench.

Now neither gauge works at all. I suspect that one of the contacts on the plastic "circuit board" that runs around the back of the instrument panel has broken off. I've already replaced this once from a spare dash because half of the dash lighting didn't work, and I don't think I've got another. So this week will be spent trying to gather suitable acetate sheet and copper foil to see if I can make a new one. If I can, it will be useful because the Firenza has a similar problem with dash lighting not working which will be for the same reason.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a new battery for the XJS. The car came without the (plastic) battery cover and no spare wheel cover. Found both items in the last few months. Had to repair the battery cover with super glue. The old battery got flat over the weeks, was not sure where to look for so installed main earth battery switch which meant also to make new battery cables. Finally all is as it should look in the boot. Happy with it.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More de-greasing and cleaning of the running gear on the Commer. The shackal grease is like tar and very difficult to remove!
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: car chore 2day Reply with quote

fitted home made exhaust heat shields to try and reduce vapour lock issues ..
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've got a passenger side rear quarter for my project, I started digging out some of the massive globs of filler that are covering the current "repair". It's putting up a fight, but so far it looks as if I didn't waste my money buying the panel.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add this post with a warning not to do it.

I have used a Propane/Butane torch on old Bondo. Always done in a well ventilated area, whilst wearing a mask.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:

I have used a Propane/Butane torch on old Bondo. Always done in a well ventilated area, whilst wearing a mask.

A twist knot wire brush in an angle grinder will also shift it quickly, but produces lots of dust. Best done outside!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Peter_L wrote:

A twist knot wire brush in an angle grinder will also shift it quickly, but produces lots of dust. Best done outside!

I did start using a twisted wire brush in the grinder, with the speed turned down to minimise where the dust went. Perhaps because of that, perhaps because of the age of the wheel, it wasn't really much quicker than a wood chisel if you include clean-up time. My shed floor isn't smooth, either, and it's very difficult to get debris up. Sometimes with the chisel it's possible to dislodge a massive lump and it's a real boost when that happens, then I spend ages just removing tiny little pieces.

I haven't tried anything with a blowtorch - I bought one years ago and haven't used it, but it's something I do intend to play with at some point, if the gas hasn't all disappeared by now. I can't get the car outside in any case, and have quite a few adjoining neighbours.
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some minor touching up around the bodywork of the Volvo.
Boring Tucson SUV
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a new battery for the Chamois. Went to the shed and installed it. Pumped the petrol lever at the pump a few strokes and it started almost immediately. It has been standing for two years, buries under blankets. Drove it to my garage 10 miles away.
What great little cars these Imps are. I have owned this one for 22 years now, and had others before it. Always brings a smile!
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My P38 had developed a false "bonnet open" warning message that showed up on the dash accompanied by an irritating bleep. I knew the bonnet was properly closed; in fact it has not just one but two catches. There is a micro switch to the off side catch which is operated by a plastic plunger when the bonnet closes.

The only way to access this part was to remove the slam panel and grille. With the panel removed I was able to unscrew the bonnet catch and see what was going on.

It became apparent that the micro switch had fallen out of its holder. I found it impossible to reposition the switch as it was upside down and I couldn't see what I was doing. The switch might have fallen out again as there seemed very little holding it in place... and as didn't need the warning message I decided to disable the switch.

As I couldn't see how the wires were attached I resorted to wrapping some masking tape tightly around the switch holding it closed. With the annoying message eliminated, the bonnet catch was repositioned and the slam panel and grille re attached.

The P38 is now over 20 years old and with 90K+ miles on the clock is past it's prime. The roof lining is sagging and there is black mould in parts of the felt trim.

Probably time to move the old girl on. Sad
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
My P38 had developed a false "bonnet open" warning message that showed up on the dash accompanied by an irritating bleep. I knew the bonnet was properly closed;

My mate's modern Ford Edge is doing the same thing.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a new circuit "board" for the back of the instrument panel on my Sportshatch. I tried swapping the voltage regulator a while back to see if it was faulty, and one of the little tabs broke off, leaving me without fuel or temp gauges. So I've made a replacement and hopefully that will be able to go in over the next few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 81 of 119

Jump to: