classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ignition Timing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
nzrover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Ignition Timing Reply with quote

I have a Rover P4 2.6 6 cylinder and my problem is baffling to me but hopefully not to you. Put simply I can not get the timing right. I have manually turned the engine to the right mark on the fly wheel and the rotor is in the right place pointing a cylinder 1 spark plug and all looks well. When I start the engine (just) the engine is really rough and when I put the timing light on the mark is not there and even when you turn the distributor you cannot see it. Well you can just see it but it is miles off. You can only move the distributor so much so it can't line up. I have tried a different distributor and a different set of leeds and distributor cap. Why would the timing change when you start the car up from when it was stationary it is driving me mad. Any ideas folks?
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a vacuum advance?
If so, there will be a sight difference between static timing, and timing at tickover.
Are you sure, that when the mark on the flywheel is in the right place, it is number one cylinder that is at the right place,IE, inlet & exhaust closed?

As a check, it might be worth moving all the distributor leads around, one spot at a time? This might be the easiest thing to do before getting the tools out again?

I have managed to get the whole distributor onto the wrong tooth of the camshaft before, and ended up with it pointing somewhere else entirely, when the marks were 'on'....The 'timing' was eventually unaffected, and remains as such...
I have also managed to get the distributor 180 degrees 'out' when I replaced the shaft that held the mechanical advance weights back on back to front. It runs just as well, but the plug leads had to be swapped around..
I'd move the plug leads round one spt first...try in either direction, clockwise or counter clockwise.... see if that improves things?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
nzrover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for the your advice and apologies for taking so long to reply. I have tried all that you recommend and even had a knowledgably friend who said he could sort it and set it up when engine switched off. Same result!!! I am taking it to an electrical motor engineer next week so if he fixes it I will let you know. Mind you if it was something easy or I had done wrong I might now. Ha Ha
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the firing order is correct? I believe it is
1,5,3,6,2,4. It should be cast into the top of the exhaust manifold.

Also, I think the distributor rotates anticlockwise (it is clockwise on later 3.5 engines)
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NZ

The fact that the engine starts is a bonus. It indicates that timing is not that far away.

So, with the distributor 'moveable' start the engine and slowly turn the distributor one way. Turning in the direction of the rotor movement will retard the timing. against the the rotor movement will advance the timing. Does the idle improve? or get worse? If it improves you are going in the right direction. Do this until you are happy with the setting. You can then check with your timing light where the marks are. I'm not familiar with Rovers but a point to bear in mind is if the timing marks are on the front vibration damper/pulley the dampers pulleys have a rubber insert separating the crankshaft side from the outer side. This rubber can shear and inertia takes over and the outer part can move from where it should be rendering the timing marks useless.

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
NZ

The fact that the engine starts is a bonus. It indicates that timing is not that far away.

So, with the distributor 'moveable' start the engine and slowly turn the distributor one way. Turning in the direction of the rotor movement will retard the timing. against the the rotor movement will advance the timing. Does the idle improve? or get worse? If it improves you are going in the right direction. Do this until you are happy with the setting. You can then check with your timing light where the marks are. I'm not familiar with Rovers but a point to bear in mind is if the timing marks are on the front vibration damper/pulley the dampers pulleys have a rubber insert separating the crankshaft side from the outer side. This rubber can shear and inertia takes over and the outer part can move from where it should be rendering the timing marks useless.

Art

Good advise as usual, Art.

As it happens the P4 pulley is just a solid lump of steel so no problems there.
Farmer John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Rover Timing Reply with quote

Hello Rover man, are you anywhere near me? We can sort this out, otherwise if you contact me by Private Mail we can get in touch.
John
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P4 timing marks are on the flywheel with a small pointer located within a trapdoor on the right hand side of the flywheel housing. Slacken the two bolts holding the 'trapdoor' in place and it will move out of the way without undoing the bolts completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: