classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Suitable Attire
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a chance!........Dave Shocked Razz Cool

Although I could dig out some of my punk stuff for the Stag! lol

Dave
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest criticism to wearing 'period' clothing is when you get, shall we say, a more mature person wearing teenage clothing - could be a 1920s flapper or a 1950s rocker! That's bad enough, but then they're driving an up-market car like a Sunbeam or even a Vauxhall Cresta - chances are the original owner would have been a professional person wearing a boring suit and tie!
consul 57

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
My biggest criticism to wearing 'period' clothing is when you get, shall we say, a more mature person wearing teenage clothing - could be a 1920s flapper or a 1950s rocker! That's bad enough, but then they're driving an up-market car like a Sunbeam or even a Vauxhall Cresta - chances are the original owner would have been a professional person wearing a boring suit and tie!

i would agree with you as a 1950's period but some of us are recreating our youth as us late 1970's & 80's rockers were buying consuls, zephyrs and cresta's ect to go with our 1970's & 80's version of 50's attire.
these cars have survived better because they were bought by rock n roll fans as like most 50's cars they were not worth a whole lot and were just old cars, i imagine no 50's teddy boy could afford a car let alone a fins & chrome one but we could and did, my mate has had about 10 mk2 fords.
it is all part of creating a dream, when things were supposedly better, it is only now that we don't have to drive them as everyday cars and get them fixed for work on monday as we almost all have a normal reliable cheap to run cars.
my parents did not have a car until way after they got married in 1960, but they did have 2 mk2 fords as the wedding cars!
that is the thing with older cars they cover a wide era, i feel right in my 50's clothes driving my 57 consul to a show or on a run, just have to make sure i don't get oil on my white T shirt!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now some shows are finally going ahead this summer we have been invited to a couple 1940s wartime shows. For those we will dress up a bit as we also like to do some educational re-enacting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: