classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Degreasing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Degreasing Reply with quote

So, we are quite a way through removing all the muck, dirt, grease and oil accumulated of 80 years on the chassis of our Commer truck.

Even with all the muck gone from the front springs and steering gear etc there is still a noticable oily residue.

Anyone have thoughts on degreasing before applying primer in situations like this?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gallon (5 litres) can of panel wipe that I use for general cleaning before primer.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this will sound "what!!"... but there is a good and cost effective method.

The secret ingredient is "Dawn" dish soap. I have no affiliation with whoever makes this product, but I have used it to do a final degrease on the engines and gearboxes and axles of Lawn Tractors, Farm Tractors, Skid Steers... 1/2 ton Pickups and my own SUV.

After removing the very worst, if it is really bad, one is left with a surface that isn't inviting to paints. A strong solution of Dawn + Water + Pressure Washer which when dry will allow paint to stick. The paint I have used has always been Tremclad and I can't vouch for anything else.

BTW... Dawn will kill insects such as Earwigs, and safely remove Tar/Asphalt from pets paws.

I keep a Spray bottle of Dawn+Water in the garage, great for cleaning hands before entering the private domain's washroom.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to degrease before painting or the paint isn't going to stick around for long. I suggest the "no nonsense" degreaser from Screwfix, it's effective and reasonably priced.

I guess it depends what sort of finish you're looking for and how visible these areas are - I've never worked on anything large - but my preference for any greasy area is simply to use a thick black rustproofing wax rather than trying to bring it to a level of cleanliness suitable for painting... Smile
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down the yard this morning, tried some good old fashioned 'Gunk'.

I tell you what, that really cleaned off the this oil/muck areas that I found difficult to get to. I will leave it a day or wi and then revisit the areas with a wire brush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: