classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

silicon brake fluid
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that technically all glycol brake fluids must be synthetic? the brake fluids that you shouldn't mix are silicon and mineral.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I think that technically all glycol brake fluids must be synthetic? the brake fluids that you shouldn't mix are silicon and mineral.

Dave

Yes but my point is that DOT 4 always was mineral but the DOT 4 on the shelf in the shop says SYNTHetic.

What happens if I add the DOT 4 synthetic to the DOT4 in my car which I remember to be mineral?

I thought synthetic was DOT 5 so always knew what to avoid. Now I don't know what to do.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

Mineral fluids are all synthetic, there has never been a "natural" brake fluid, the word synthetic is probably added to the can by marketing folk!

synthetic does not equate to silicon Smile

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray

Mineral fluids are all synthetic, there has never been a "natural" brake fluid, the word synthetic is probably added to the can by marketing folk!

synthetic does not equate to silicon Smile

Dave

It's just me getting discombobulated again!!!

I have obviously been labouring under the impression that synthetic = silicon.

Thanks for putting me right.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience ,if you want to know about oils and lubricants, the best people to ask are the people who make the stuff.
Choose a manufacturer and ring up their technical department. They are always very pleasant ,knowledgeable people who are always seem happy to answer your questions. A couple of Weeks ago I wanted to know which oil to run in my Devon pick up so I called Morris oil, Penright, Castrol and Miller oils. All very helpful.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with glycol-based fluid - no bubbles, no water, no rust, and the only difference between DOT4 and 5.1 is the boiling point. For spirited driving use the latter. I have used 5.1 for years, and always keep a couple of sealed litres on the shelf.
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the drawbacks of silicone fluid mentioned above, it is also thinner, so in certain cylinders where the seal tolerances aren’t great anyway, you can get leaks.
Examples of vehicles to avoid silicone fluid with:
Anything Italian, using ‘donut’ seals in their braking systems.
Anything with o-rings in the braking system (not the best seal in the world!) French Record master cylinders commonly do, but apart from those they’re rare.
Anything with a remote servo, especially some of the older models. One major servo reconditioning company goes so far as to say you will void your warranty if you use silicone.

I would imagine on a car like Keith D’s Devon, which has decent cup seals in the wheel cylinders and seals with good tolerances in the master, you will have no problems at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: