classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What grit for rubbing down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Sid

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: What grit for rubbing down? Reply with quote

My car has been brush painted by a previous owner and it looks like pinstripe. I want to rub it down and polish it, I've tried 1000 grit by hand and 1200 in a sander but it's only knocked the top off each stripe. I tried these two grits because they didn't seem too aggressive, but obviously the job needs a bit more oomph.
Can anyone suggest a better grit. 600 perhaps, or would that be too much? This is for sander discs as well as sheet paper (for the curvy bits).
Cheers
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the roughness and harness of the paint, no hard and fast rules.

You are probably going to start with 400 and work up through the grades, try 400 by hand first to test its not going to cut through to primer!

Dave
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the car painted in a coach enamel?

If so, you may have trouble polishing it to an acceptable gloss.
Sid

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea. I know nothing at all about paint. I've started with 600 grit and managed to take out the pin stripes on a small area, and gone on to 1000 and will try a smoother one on top of that.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For rough paint (mine was a lot of orange peel, because I painted it and I don't know what I'm doing) I was advised to use something fairly rough until the peel effect is almost gone, there are still some spots showing. Then switch to something finer to take the next level off.

The problem with going too rough is that you can find it then takes ages to get rid of the roughness - that's another problem I have.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: paint work Reply with quote

when sanding paint its normal to start with rough paper grit size and work down to smaller. eg 600 .800.1200. depending on how much we need to 'flatten' off surface and remove old layers etc often its a learning curve but essential to have decent flat paintwork before any form of repainting occurs. just as it is to ensure no dust etc remains on any prepared surface.
preparation is 80% of results. anybody can spray paint but ethers a lot more to it than that. correct type. mix ( thinners) sclera coat .base coat etc and avoiding orange peel and other issues such as spraying on 'wet 'days etc . painting for oneself is time consuming and work . balance being professional will always get decent if not superb results but ££££ . own choices here plus often we might simply want top do it ourself too.
Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: