classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for several months for 5 new 19" wire wheels which have to be imported from a Dunlop factory in India. They are of the traditional stove enamel silver finish which I (and most other English people) prefer. I have the new tyres and tubes ready to fit.

A call from MWS (Motor Wheel Services) this morning gave me no hope for optimism. My new wheels are not expected to be here before the end of September.

Thinking I might be more in with a chance if I changed tack, I enquired if they had any of the more expensive and very bling chrome versions in stock; much favoured by our American cousins.

As it happens, they didn't have any of those in stock either.

Probably just as well. Rolling Eyes
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected my exhaust manifold from Gough's today.

It looks O.K....let's hope it fits now!

Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of "Chubby Checker" Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Reminds me of "Chubby Checker" Laughing

It's supposedly an "extractor" manifold with a net gain of @3hp.

(Well,,,, you have to take what some people say at face value.) Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought long and hard about whether or not to fit a remote brake servo to the TC. There are a good many opinions on the matter; some in favour, some not.

One argument against is that a servo will not improve the brakes; just make them feel easier with less pressure needed. For most hard core, hairy chested T Type owners there is no argument - servos are for sissys.

For those of us who prefer a gentler brake pedal and are used to the reassuring assistance that a vacuum servo gives; the opposite is true. I fall into the latter group... but with certain reservations.

There is always a risk the servo will be TOO powerful and anyone who has driven a car with a terribly sensitive brake pedal will understand that it is not a pleasant feature. The ratio of 1.9:1 seems about the best option; given that the 1.65:1 version is no longer made here.

There is also the question of how the vacuum might be affected by the supercharger; although I have been assured that there is just as much vacuum on the over run as a normally aspirated engine. I am not entirely convinced because I do know that PCV valves don't work properly due to pressurising the inlet manifold. I suppose I could take advantage of the vacuum by taking it from a sandwich plate between the carb and the blower rather than the inlet manifold but that is for another time.

The only other niggle I have is that it is yet more weight so hopefully this will be a worth while compromise.

That brings me to the question of which servo to buy. These were always quite an expensive option but of late super cheap servos - in all sizes - have become available. The price of £52 for a Chinese "Lockheed type" copy as seen on ebay may be tempting but I have decided not to risk having a reliability issue; especially with a safety critical part, further down the road (so to speak)...

After a considerable amount of research, I have opted for a 1.9:1 remote servo kit by Lockheed. The one I have bought was made here in the U.K. by a firm called 920 Engineering who have taken over genuine Lockheed production. I spoke to them today and confirmed that the unit I have bought is as described. It arrived today and I am pleased with the quality, although the high price has left something of a bad taste in the mouth.

The kit includes a couple of substantial fixing brackets; some vacuum hose and a length of tubing with fittings. Some additional fittings (different threads) are included and the suppliers - Frontline Developments - have sent me some photos of another MG midget installation that they have just done. Having an expert willing to give the benefit of their experience is reassuring.
Miken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of interest.
https://ttypes.org/ta-b-c-front-brake-twin-leading-shoe-tls-conversion/
A couple of years ago I helped my friend Steve, who owns a TC to do a 2LS front brake conversion.
I say helped, he did all the hard work, working out how to do it, sawing and filing and i just tig welded it together.
He is pleased with the result.
He doesnt have a servo on his car.
Mike
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second TLS conversion. I did it to my SS and it transformed it.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
This might be of interest.
https://ttypes.org/ta-b-c-front-brake-twin-leading-shoe-tls-conversion/
A couple of years ago I helped my friend Steve, who owns a TC to do a 2LS front brake conversion.
I say helped, he did all the hard work, working out how to do it, sawing and filing and i just tig welded it together.
He is pleased with the result.
He doesnt have a servo on his car.
Mike

Thanks for your advice Miken. I do know that article; in fact I occasionally contribute articles to the TT2 on line magazine.

The twin leading shoe conversion has been around for a very long time. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about it until after I had spent a kings ransom on my brakes including new bronze wheel cylinders. I have uprated my brakes with "Alfin" brake drums and specially developed shoes by Peter Edney.

I have also been following a policy of not making any alterations that are not easily reversible. Until this article using Marina van back plates was published, various MG guys, like Andy King for example, have offered a conversion that involved butchering your TC back plates. As Marina 10Cwt back plates are no longer available, that is not the route I want to go down.

I reasoned that if the single leading shoe setup - although inefficient - could lock the wheels with a big enough push on the pedal then an alternative to twin leading shoes would be a servo. I am hoping that with a mechanical advantage of 4:1 the pedal effort could be pleasantly assisted with a low pressure boost.

I guess I won't know for sure until the car is on the road.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at the inlet manifold and established that the threaded take off hole is 1/8" BSP. Assuming what I have been told that a servo will not be adversely affected by the supercharger; ie. that there will still be sufficient vacuum for it, then I should be able take off the vacuum at that point. I have a suitable fitting to take a rubber vacuum hose. I shall need to buy another length of hose and join it - preferably with another non return valve - to the hose supplied in the servo kit.

The issue with doing the above is that I will need to drill and tap another 1/8" BSP hole at the opposite end of the manifold for the 'boost/vacuum' gauge. I have established that the thread on the gauge is again 1/8" BSP. Fortunately I have a new set of taps that size.

I had a stroke of luck this afternoon in finding a new looking male/male 1/8" BSP fitting in my box of air line fittings. With this I believe it should be possible to use an old oil pressure gauge (small bore) tube with the correct ends for the vacuum/boost gauge....unless anyone knows something I don't.?

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the rear wings: I had thought that the off side was worst but having stripped the near side I can see that this has also suffered severe trauma at some time. I keep thinking that the car must have rolled rather than had an impact.

As can be seen from the photo, the near side wing has been properly knocked about. It looks as if it has been knocked back into some form of shape but I can see many hours ahead with hammer and dolly - and with no guarantee of success.

My neighbour has suggested I might find a use for his old TC wings as he bought new ones for his restoration many years ago. I looked into buying new wings but the price that Moss are asking is an eye watering £1200
each !

The other wing shown is an original one but having suffered from the British climate has rusted through in places and repair patches have been a previous attempt to counter this.

I may be able to cut out some sound metal and weld into my wings; that will at least save hours of panel beating and give me half a chance of getting the profile right.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before, I am making a few modifications to improve the drivability of the TC but importantly, they will be for my use and therefore must be easily reversible should a future owner prefer originality over practicality.

The brakes are a weak design of single leading shoe. To convert to twin leading shoe would involve considerable mutilation of the existing back plates - which would probably be irreversible. (Marina 10cwt backplates are suitable candidates but are unobtainable).

As part of a new brake system I have invested in 'Alfin' type drums (a period option) and shoes with improved linings. Stainless master and wheel cylinders are also nice but these things do nothing to lessen the effort that the 4:1 mechanical advantage requires at the pedal.

As discussed earlier, as an aid to the braking effort I have decided to add a servo. The genuine Lockheed 7" unit needs to be mounted at a particular angle and therefore comes with a dedicated bracket. One thing I don't want to do - if I can avoid it - is to make more holes in the chassis; so to avoid doing this, to secure the bracket, I have opted for a pair of clamps. They were originally for leaf springs but as luck would have it, the 5/8" BSW thread needed to be extended slightly.

A certain amount of work with grinding wheel and file was needed but it was using a die on a 'U' bolt that posed more of a challenge. I could have made a special tool from a length of tubing but it didn't seem worth all the trouble for just a few extra threads so I simply gripped it with some pipe grips and the threads cut quite easily.

Measuring and drilling four holes in the bracket was quite a simple matter. The following photos show how the bracket will be clamped to the chassis. Obviously, the threads will need to be shortened before I attach the servo to the bracket but I think it will look reasonably neat.

Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7" servo is now bolted to it's bracket and supported by the metal stay provided in the kit. The stay will be screwed into the plywood back board.

The U bolts needed to be shortened and secured with four 5/8" BSW nuts and spring washers.

Before fitting the hydraulic brake lines I want to install the vacuum hose. I intend to use a 10mm copper pipe with rubber vacuum hose at either end to provide flexibility.

With the supercharger currently off the engine I have taken the opportunity to fit a hose connector to the inlet manifold. This required drilling a 5/16" hole and tapping a 1/8" BSP thread. The fitting was then tightened securely.

I now need to reassemble the supercharger and manifolds. Since they have been removed I have painted my home made clamps and taken the opportunity to improve the look of the four thick walled steel tubes that go over the manifold studs and clamp the manifolds to the head.

These tubes have a tendency to rust so to try and avoid this happening, I have burnished them and the nuts to a high polish and coated with a clear heat resistant lacquer. It all takes time but attention to detail usually pays off.

Readers will recall that the body tub was delivered with an ill fitting cross brace (bull horns). In this photo I am showing a length of mild steel strip bent to the correct shape. I will be taking this - and the original brace - to our local blacksmith in the hope that he will be able to either correct the original or make a new brace that will fit properly between the wheel arches.

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saying "if you want a job doing properly then do it yourself" could not be more appropriate. I gave the smithy clear instructions, photos, markings etc. as to which way up, and a steel strip template to copy.

Instead of a useful cross brace I have ended up with something worse than before...and paid £10 for the privilege because I am too polite for words.

I am now thinking I should cut the brace and bend it cold to as near as I can get it then weld it back together.

I will know another time. Mad
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

.and paid £10 for the privilege because I am too polite for words.

Hi Ray. Personally, and going on what you have said, I think you are making a mistake by not going back to the Blacksmith. Not with tyres squealing and mouthing profanities but calmly and friendly. Perhaps even take a printed image of the bracket, as is, in the position it should go so you can explain the problem. Apologise for perhaps not being 100% with your first instructions even if you believe you are. If your area is similar to so many in 2021, "jobbing" Blacksmiths, Machinists, Welders and other artisans are becoming rarer by the hour. Down the road (pun intended) you may require his skills for something that you can't fabricate yourself.

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Ray White wrote:

.and paid £10 for the privilege because I am too polite for words.

Hi Ray. Personally, and going on what you have said, I think you are making a mistake by not going back to the Blacksmith. Not with tyres squealing and mouthing profanities but calmly and friendly.

I am always polite and never swear.

I also have a lot of patience and tolerance but the guy more or less gave up trying to match my pattern - so if he can't be bothered......

I have spoken this afternoon to my neighbour who has oxygen/acetyline. Perhaps between us we can re model the cross brace to make it fit; or at least make it fit for purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 25 of 63

Jump to: