classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Adjusting front wheel bearings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
TriumphDriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Adjusting front wheel bearings Reply with quote

Having done this many times in the past, but recently having had some difficulty, I thought I'd ask posters here for tips on tightening up new front wheel bearings on a front axle such as Triumphs use.
The instructions in the manual are to tighten the bearing to 5 ft/lbs - my torque wrench has difficulty in getting so low - then mark where the castellated nut has reached; unscrew again, counting the rotations needed, fit the felt oil seal, and retighten the nut to the same spot again. I did this at the weekend only to find the hub locked solid.
I now have it slackened off to where the wheel moves more or less freely, but am worried about play. It may just be the felt seal - it's an original NOS Unipart seal (some of the modern repros don't fit at all) and although I pregreased it it may take a while to compress fully.
In the meantime I just thought I'd ask for hints and tips...
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always adjusted the front wheel bearings on my Austins by simply tightening the castellated nut until I feel no in-and-out movement of the hub, then slip the split pin through the nearest holes. I have never had any bearing trouble doing this. If you are fitting new bearings and seals it would be a good idea to check after a few days as you will probably need to adjust again as it all beds in.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also be an idea to rotate the hub[wheel?] when tightening?

The torque figure is there to cover the manufacturer.....I'd do the nut up using a short spanner. Less torque can be applied using a short spanner [ Specific wheel braces are that length so that owners do not over -tighten wheel nuts??]

The hub nut might benefit from frequent checking until happy it doesn't need adjusting any more, to allow for the felt seal?

[My Cannon uses pre-wawer Morris Minor front hubs [with 6 studs, begorrah!]...and felt seals...I discovered the felt seals used by Bristol VR double deck buses were the same [required} size, and being employed in the business, I was glad of a free supply.]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Brent29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
I have always adjusted the front wheel bearings on my Austins by simply tightening the castellated nut until I feel no in-and-out movement of the hub, then slip the split pin through the nearest holes. I have never had any bearing trouble doing this. If you are fitting new bearings and seals it would be a good idea to check after a few days as you will probably need to adjust again as it all beds in.

Keith

I will tip my friend neighbor about that trick when he starts working on his new Triumph project. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto his truck before we can clear the garage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: