classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Anglia E494A - a new arrival
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Beautiful VandenPlas 3 Litre next to it.

I love these cars; especially if in very good condition.

This 4 litre has been doing the rounds with various dealers and apparently going to auction...

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1351488

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1378639
Salopian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rick"quote]

I did comment to the other attendees that I was lowering the tone a little Very Happy

RJ[/quote]

You did so comment Rick and you were wrong. I really liked it and it was certainly in my top three at the event.
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ray White"]
badhuis wrote:

This 4 litre has been doing the rounds with various dealers and apparently going to auction...

The trouble with very low mileage classics is that they command a high price.....and then what do you do with one when you have bought it (at a premium no doubt)? If you use it, the low mileage aspect degrades, if you don't use it, then it just becomes a very expensive paperweight. I had a W123 Merc many years ago with under 20k on the clock. I felt guilty every time I took it out on the road and eventually sold it on.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="norustplease"]
Ray White wrote:
badhuis wrote:

The trouble with very low mileage classics is that they command a high price.....and then what do you do with one when you have bought it (at a premium no doubt)? If you use it, the low mileage aspect degrades, if you don't use it, then it just becomes a very expensive paperweight. I had a W123 Merc many years ago with under 20k on the clock. I felt guilty every time I took it out on the road and eventually sold it on.

If I had the space under cover, I would buy that big Austin VDP - or one like it either 3 or 4 litre - and use it in place of my P38. I don't do that may miles in a year anyway but it wouldn't worry me. I would just use it and try to keep it as nice as I can. I wouldn't worry about the money; You can't take it with you.

I would enjoy the car while I can.

My neighbour had the same issue with a low mileage Ferrari Testarossa. He worried that putting miles on the clock would devalue the car...as a result he never enjoyed the car as much as he could have done and ended up selling it.

The Pandemic has taught me that you can loose everything you worked for in a heartbeat but life's too short to worry about the future...
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
If I had the space under cover, I would buy that big Austin VDP - or one like it either 3 or 4 litre - and use it in place of my P38. I don't do that may miles in a year anyway but it wouldn't worry me. I would just use it and try to keep it as nice as I can. I wouldn't worry about the money; You can't take it with you.

I would enjoy the car while I can.

Problem with that scenario is that you would have to use that pristine car in any weather type. It is fine, even great when the weather is fine but it will become nasty when there is a rain storm, or worse. Then you really appreciate the luxuries and comfort only modernish cars have: excellent ventilation (no steamed up windows), good wiped screens front and rear, decent heated mirrors, instant starting and power, warmth when and where you need it, capability to transport l(soiled) arge garden stuff, no worries about salt and snow. Etc etc.
All these are the reason I still have a modern(-ish, its from 2004 but has all the luxuries) car. Which is not used much when the weather is good Very Happy In fact, I will be going to the supermarket in my TR4 in ten minutes from now just because I have do the shopping today and the sun is out and it is so much more fun to do it in a car like that. Very Happy
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even my modern [2002] gets steamed up windows on a run....

Given that I have spent most of my driving /for work] life without proper ventilation or heat, rubbish wipers [where one learnt how to 'see' when today's drivers give up & crash} Where ventilation meant, opening a window...where one found out how to observe properly for stuff...instead of expecting to be told stuff is there....[like todays drivers.....?]
I find it annoying when a modern driver tells me I should have my headlights on....when it's a sunny day, and the sun still has 90 minutes to go before it sets...{ It's perfectly visible if one bothered to lookl].simply because, all the other [moderns] vehicles have brilliant LED driving lights, which means to a modern driver, they no longer actually have to look for things..they get 'told' [by the lights] where things are!!]

So the cosseting that a modern vehicle gives its driver is of no interest to me.....I haven't been waiting all my driving life for heated mirrors, or rear window wipers [not often using the inside mirror anyway]....or heated seats [could never feel them anyway, not having a cold backside at the best of times].....even when really cold, I find I'm opening the window, purely for fresh air....

Mind, my working driving life was 25 years of old school bus driving.....I left before the modern plastic fantastics really came on stream....and the last 20 years or so has been spent in really uncomfortable military vehicles, not known for their creature comforts.
So maybe I'm spoilt, never ever 'wishing' for something better..but simply, ''getting on'' with what I've got?

My modern, I have, because it was cheap to buy, at £500 [if not to run...30 quid a month VED really stings a pensioner], and works, if I keep on top of fettling it.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Even my modern [2002] gets steamed up windows on a run....

Because it does not have AC? Which is an effective way of getting rid of the steamed windows.
alastairq wrote:
My modern, I have, because it was cheap to buy, at [if not to run...30 quid a month VED really stings a pensioner], and works, if I keep on top of fettling it.

So why do you still have the modern then? Cheap to buy is a weak reason. You may find another excellent modern car for £500 next week and you are not going to by that as well.
I only drove classics until 20 years ago when I got employed elsewhere where I needed to travel to and from work 120 miles each day. For the first months I did that in a 1974 Triumph 2500 but it wore me out. After that, my wife more or less wanted to keep a modern and now I have to admit the luxuries are so practical in bad, winter weather.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't entertain A/C at all..
For me, it's a waste of fuel! Plus, an added complexity under the bonnet which frankly, usually, gets in my way all the time. It's an added expense when it needs looking at, re-filling, etc...

No, I don't go looking for cheapo runabouts all the time. Or indeed, at any time.

I got it simply to stand in for my usual ''daily' driver, a '94 Daihatsu 4Trak..which, at the time, was going to meet Mr Welder.

There arose a sudden 'family' need for transport, which wasn't a Dellow!
So I looked about locally, and came up with the 02 Suzuki GV...which for £500 fitted the bill, as a temporary measure. The 4Trak was sorted much more quickly as it turned out....and so it came about, the two moderns shared the 'daily' tasks....going to work, and the ability to tow a trailer now & then.

I advertised the Suzuki for sale [having only spent money on it to meet the MoT standards,] but got no real interest locally...in honesty I didn't try hard enough..

I don't have a problem with ''room'' for cars where I live, so I simply allowed it to share duties throughout the year...taking it in & out of tax, etc, as I saw fit. I even lent it to a friend when their business tow vehicle conked out [it was a Land Rover..they don't break down, they simply, conk out!]....it helped in an emergency, towing a large tree surgeon's trailer....without complaint, either....oddly!

Over the covid lockdown both the ''moderns' were laid up, SORNed, etc and I solely used the Mustang or the Dellow, which cost not a lot, if anything, to run.
Since then I've had to share family taxi duties with my last Ex....as & when.

I don't look for Land Rovers, as I'm too big to get behind their steering wheels...

But, as a driver I have zero need for the fancy luxuries a modern motor might possess...mainly because I have long ago learnt to cope ..
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the weather was that bad I would take my wife's car.

Having said that, however, we used the 3 litre Vanden Plas in all weathers back in the day with no ill effects.

As I say, I would try to keep it nice but everyone wants a car with some "patina" these days.. so no worries.

Loose money??? Compared with the money I have lost in the Pandemic it would be peanuts!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anglia was given a little prep then taken out recently for a breakfast meet, where a variety of cars old and not-so-old turned up for this informal gathering.
https://youtu.be/fs7Ei36scWE

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A breakfast meet, what a horrible thought.
The company I work for came up with the idea of having a yearly Christmas breakfast 6 years ago. Clearly it was a success because they still do it. Many people liked it, not me!
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree, I'm more of a "Brunch meet" person nowadays. Since retiring I hate getting up early...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
A breakfast meet, what a horrible thought.
The company I work for came up with the idea of having a yearly Christmas breakfast 6 years ago. Clearly it was a success because they still do it. Many people liked it, not me!

I like the informality, breakfast is purely optional it's really just a morning meet at which breakfast and coffee are available, rather than an all-day-long show. No very early starts are required Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early meet would probably suit me. I don't take my car to local shows because they expect you to park up and stay all day. I need to get back for business reasons and they won't let me move my car.!!
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like breakfast meets. There are several locally which are well attended and one is still continuing as long as the weather holds.
All day car shows can be a bit tedious, six or seven hours is a long time to sit with your car in a field, but our local morning events usually last for around three hours, time for a chat with fellow owners, have a coffee and then get on with the rest of the day.
Boring Tucson SUV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: