classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vehicles: Model Names.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley Blue wrote:
There was a diesel powered Peugeot, I forget the model number, and the turbocharged version had the letters TurD on the back.

I think you're "having us on" with that one. Laughing

Peter
Penguin45

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley Blue wrote:
My own Riley must have one of the most unimaginative car names ever: 'One-Point-Five' or, as it appears all too often, '1.5' - does anyone have any idea why it and the 4/68 and 4/72 were given such mediocre names?

The One Point Five was to differentiate it from the Fifteen Hundred, of course. 4/68 is four cylinder/sixty eight horsepower. It's a nod to the RAC ratings. The pre-war Wolseley 18/85 was 18 RAC hp, but 85 actual hp. But then again, the 'Crab 18/85 stands for 1800cc/85hp.

Simples really.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penguin45 wrote:
Riley Blue wrote:
My own Riley must have one of the most unimaginative car names ever: 'One-Point-Five' or, as it appears all too often, '1.5' - does anyone have any idea why it and the 4/68 and 4/72 were given such mediocre names?

The One Point Five was to differentiate it from the Fifteen Hundred, of course. 4/68 is four cylinder/sixty eight horsepower. It's a nod to the RAC ratings. The pre-war Wolseley 18/85 was 18 RAC hp, but 85 actual hp. But then again, the 'Crab 18/85 stands for 1800cc/85hp.

Simples really.

I know what the numbers stand for, that doesn't make them any less unimaginative and mediocre.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
Americans always used to be good at model names. Eldorado, Thunderbird, Impala, Challenger, Bel Air, Mustang. To name a few. Always made the car seem more exotic, fast or powerful than it really was. They seem to have lost that nowadays

Not sure I totally agree on that. Without going into detail ( a winter project ) I think that the UK names were more "sedate", names that wouldn't frighten the horses. The U.S has long used "exciting names... (I am searching for the term)"

Explorer....... the whole world is your oyster. Escape... The safe world is out there.... Equinox... Comfort and the twice a year Hardware Store. Escalade... does it all when needed. Camaro..... A close friend that GM published as an animal that could to eat Mustangs.

But no one/company is perfect albeit Mondeo is from the Latin for World..
and the car did sell........ but was best left out of a "first encounter", chat up line. But then I have been known for... "my mate borrowed the Supercharged Capri GTI 3.5"
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley Blue wrote:
Penguin45 wrote:
Riley Blue wrote:

Simples really.

I know what the numbers stand for, that doesn't make them any less unimaginative and mediocre.

Unimaginative and mediocre perhaps; but safely inoffensive and unlikely to have a problematic translation in another language.
misterbridger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the Toyot Starlet was originally going to be called the Toyolet. Say it out loud....
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one seems to have mentioned the Mitsubishi Starion. It was supposed to be Stallion but the Japanese cannot pronounce the letter "l".
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
No one seems to have mentioned the Mitsubishi Starion. It was supposed to be Stallion but the Japanese cannot pronounce the letter "l".

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1d0mh
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that may top them all is the 1930s Jowett Weasel. (A stoatally gutless sports car.)

I'll get my hat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: