classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brake fluid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Brake fluid Reply with quote

I would appreciate some opinions on brake fluid.
I have to do a job on the brake system of my car shortly.
I am trying to ascertain if it is at present, filled with either silicone or traditional mineral fluid.
The master cylinder reservoir is a steel cylinder like a bean can mounted on the bulkhead.
Looking into it I can see the fluid is clean and clear but with a bluish tint.
Drawing some off with a syringe I squirted it into a small jar containing water and gave it a shake to mix it all together.
After a few minutes it separated and I observed a thin layer of the blue fluid floating on the top of the water.
I prepared some paint samples. Enamel primer, enamel gloss and some cellulose primer. I dropped a bit of the fluid onto them to see what effect it had. It appears to have no effect.
I rubbed the fluid into the paint a bit with my finger. no effect.
Question . What have i got here? (Ill be honest. Im pretty sure I know the answer here. but go on and tell me).
Thank you
Mike
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sound like you have dot 5 silicone fluid, as mineral will mix with water.

Morris 8 two seater
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, only just seen your reply. Yes that's what I thought. I have now fitted a new master cylinder and re filled with dot 5 and all appears well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: