classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vacuum pipe route
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Vacuum pipe route Reply with quote

I am seeking opinions on what to do about routing a vacuum pipe from the engine to the brake servo adjacent to the rear axle.(under the floor behind the seat).

I have seen a similar installation that I had originally planned to copy. It features a section of rubber hose (3/8" i.d.) from the inlet manifold then it is connected to a longer length of 10mm copper tubing under the car and finishes with another relatively short length of rubber hose that connects to the servo unit. The theory is that the section exposed under the car is the more substantial 10mm copper pipe but the rubber hoses allow flexibility.

The alternative is a single length of 3/8" vacuum hose running from front to back. This probably lacks the robustness of the 10mm copper tubing but has the advantage of only having two (as opposed to four) joins.

I can't help think that a leak is more probable at the joins than picking up a nick from stray debris under the car.

Which do you guys think is the best way to go?
Minxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go by the unwritten rule ( written in some cases, gas I think) that a flexible pipe should be no longer than 1 metre......metal pipe with short flexible ends for me every time.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
I always go by the unwritten rule ( written in some cases, gas I think) that a flexible pipe should be no longer than 1 metre......metal pipe with short flexible ends for me every time.

Thank you for that Minxy. I already have the 10mm copper tubing and a 1 Metre of reinforced vacuum hose so it would cost nothing.

I do recall, however, Alastair talking about a Skoda with long flexible vacuum hoses ... so it must have been an option for one part of the motor industry at least. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: