classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an email from the trimmers to say they have received all my plywood backing boards and will be able to start on covering them - and the new seat - when they come back from their holiday on the 18th of this month.

I had emailed them with a repeat of my instructions that I only wanted leather coverings and enough spare to enable me to to do the dash board and the (rear) side screen box. Further to a couple of telephone conversations, I also repeated my requested that the seat pleats should be well padded and the back have an original type contour. Fortunately, my requests have been acknowledged.

In readiness for the new seat I have restored the runners. Some of the rollers had seized solid and must have been used in that condition for some time as they had worn flats which made freeing them off a pointless exercise. I replaced the worst ones with some short off cuts of thick wall tubing and now everything moves smoothly.

Given a couple of coats of silver Hammerite the runners now look fine.

Incidentally, a new pair of seat runners is available ..... at £365 plus postage!!!!

In the meantime I have set about plumbing in the servo which is a nice easy job. It is rather satisfying to find the best route for the pipework; avoiding the exhaust and moving parts but still keeping it tidy. Smile

On a different matter; I have finally been able to install the steering. The drop arm thankfully now misses the exhaust manifold which as I mentioned has been corrected by re positioning the pipes.

The policy of renewing the track rod and tie rod ends and fitting a VW steering box looks like it will pay dividends as there is absolutely no play in the steering. The Torrington needle thrust bearings and new king pins and bushes makes it so smoooooth! Cool
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you are, Ray - progress! You'll get there Smile
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
There you are, Ray - progress! You'll get there Smile

Many thanks BB. I am enjoying it again now; although the improvement in my mood may be as much down to seeing my customers returning in numbers again as anything else. As we all know one thing you need with a resto is cash. This little MG is costing twice what it will ever be worth but it only really hurts when the tap is turned off!!

I have also had a visit from a couple of old friends who say they are looking forward to seeing the car finished.

So... Very Happy all round.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray......... Big Very Happy all round. Do I gather you are keeping the Pet Hotel ?
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Hi Ray......... Big Very Happy all round. Do I gather you are keeping the Pet Hotel ?

Hi Peter. Yes. We have seen a good uptake since covid restrictions were relaxed...BUT... these are early days and people are not taking the extended foreign holidays that we need to make the business viable ...but I am hopeful that as confidence returns the longer bookings will return. I certainly hope so because catering for weekends and short breaks is damned hard work. There is just as much cleaning of the pens for a minimum two night stay as for two weeks!!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that has caused me to use some colourful language in the garage recently is a problem with my 1/4" hand held pipe flaring tool.

The problem was that the clamp would not hold the pipe firmly enough to allow the flares to be formed. Despite having both screws tightened fully, the pipe kept slipping under the pressure of the die.

After numerous failed attempts I decided to try and improve it.

By passing my Dremel with a sanding drum attachment over both internal surfaces sufficient material was removed to achieve the correct clamping action.

Perfect double flares are now easily achieved.

The advantage of this particular flaring tool is that it is hand held and can be used "in situ" on the car.
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, glad to hear that things are improving, both with your cattery business and also with your Gee.

Your video showing the restored car driving with a happy Ray grinning at us all (or even smirking at us) can't be far away now??? Looking forward to seeing it.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Ray, glad to hear that things are improving, both with your cattery business and also with your Gee.

Your video showing the restored car driving with a happy Ray grinning at us all (or even smirking at us) can't be far away now??? Looking forward to seeing it.

Keith

Hi Keith. I think it's quite a way off yet.

I need to get on with the bodywork and England in winter is too damp for paint.!

One problem I have is that the bonnet is going to need carefully trimming to match up to the scuttle (as it is quite a long way out) but I will soon be getting on with it - and I am pretty sure you will be interested to see how I plan to do that...

I am also still waiting for MWS to supply 5 new wheels; they have been on order for over a year!!

Not to worry; Given a bit of luck, I hope to be on the road by this time next year.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, have you considered using a dehumidifier?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:

Yes, I have one but they are not very effective in a leaky garage like mine. They work O.K. in a room with the doors and windows closed.

Another point is that I need to have the double door open for ventilation to do paintwork. My hygrometer reading needs to be not much more than 50% humidity. It is surprising how few days are actually that dry, even in Summer.

The alternative is to take the car to a body shop.£££££ Shocked
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not afraid to admit my mistakes... and today I realised I have slipped up in not checking the thread size of the servo ports.

While all my brake pipes are 1/4" with 7/16" O.D. UNF fittings (20 tpi), the servo - I have just realised - is designed to take fittings 3/8" O.D. that go with 3/16" pipe. This is not surprising as modern systems are usually this size but I have either forgotten about it or neglected to take it into consideration. I make no excuses (other than my memory is not what it was); the question remains what to do about it?

This is something that I feared would be tricky to fix, however, I have found a supplier of brake fittings who stock the adapters I need.

Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

Yes, I have one but they are not very effective in a leaky garage like mine. They work O.K. in a room with the doors and windows closed.

Another point is that I need to have the double door open for ventilation to do paintwork. My hygrometer reading needs to be not much more than 50% humidity. It is surprising how few days are actually that dry, even in Summer.

The alternative is to take the car to a body shop.£££££ Shocked

I wasn't thinking of ventilation for spraying, of course a dehumidifier wouldn't work. It works for me using a brush though... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I found the two adapters that I had bought for this job!!

The trouble with forgetting stuff is you end up buying twice!!
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we all know that feeling. The missing bits usually turn up not long after you have re-ordered!
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
I think that we all know that feeling. The missing bits usually turn up not long after you have re-ordered!

Good to know it's not just me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 27 of 63

Jump to: