classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short update. I have now finished fitting the servo. Unfortunately I won't know if it works until I have the engine running but I don't see any reason to think it won't be O.K. I have ensured that there is no danger of the axle making contact with the pipework... (although that is not apparent from the angle of the photo).

Apart from a small area at the back where the pipe clips are screwed to the plywood I have fed the hydraulic lines through coiled stainless steel armouring so they match the rest of the system and I have managed to fit some P clips in existing holes in the chassis so I haven't had to drill any more. Everything is looking pretty tidy and is fully reversible.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why a servo is required on an MG Tx?, not necessary on an MGA, possibly it’s been covered before ! SORRY!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Not sure why a servo is required on an MG Tx?, not necessary on an MGA, possibly it’s been covered before ! SORRY!

Dave

Dave, yes I have explained before that it is entirely my preference. In part, it is because of a knee injury but I also prefer the assistance a servo gives.

The brakes on a TC are reasonable but require a fairly heavy push. The reason for this is that unlike the later TD onwards they have a single (as opposed to a twin) leading shoe arrangement which is inefficient but difficult to change. It can be changed ...but not without making significant and permanent changes to the original TC back plates.

My philosophy has been to not make any alterations that are not easily reversible.

At considerable cost I have gone down the route of fitting the desirable and more traditional looking 'Alfin' type drums. I also have invested in new bronze bodied master and wheel cylinders which have stainless steel cylinders.

I have also designed and installed a remote brake fluid reservoir which again is an attractive feature but something that could be easily removed if required.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray

What about rigging up one of those cheap hand operated vacuum pumps [off ebay?] into the engine vacuum line, to test out the servo?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Hi Ray

What about rigging up one of those cheap hand operated vacuum pumps [off ebay?] into the engine vacuum line, to test out the servo?

I had not considered that, Alastair. If it had been a cheap (Chinese) reproduction I would not hesitate but this one came direct from the English makers of Lockheed servos who I trust to get it right. (They have said that in the unlikely event I have a problem they will replace it without question).

Apparently, the way to tell a genuine servo is the passivated finish... as opposed to black painted.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Apparently, the way to tell a genuine servo is the passivated finish... as opposed to black painted.

I bet someone in China is reading this right now... Laughing Laughing Laughing
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: MG Brake Servo Reply with quote

Might have been easier to fit disc brakes?
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are torque reaction issues when trying to fit disc brakes to old technology axle/suspension systems.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I bet someone in China is reading this right now... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think you are on the money there. Next we shall see all the black paint replaced with acid wash.!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: MG Brake Servo Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Might have been easier to fit disc brakes?

I still want the TC to look of it's time and discs would be too modern. It's why I have retained the old lever arm dampers and had them overhauled.

The servo was dead easy to fit and is out of sight. Any future owner could easily strip it out if they wanted.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
There are torque reaction issues when trying to fit disc brakes to old technology axle/suspension systems.

Absolutely!. I am considering fitting torque reaction cables. Axle rotation is no doubt something you are very familiar with. Fortunately it is not as bad as on some other beam axle cars.

(On the Austin Seven I have to make an allowance for rotation when adjusting the front brake cables. The problem is that because of flimsy radius arms the harder you brake the more the rotation works against you!).
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several other little jobs have been ticked off the list today.

I have managed to refit the two radiator stays. They span the engine compartment from front to back and are now at their fullest extent of adjustment. The n/s needed to be fixed in a different position due to the supercharger getting in the way. This was done quite easily and should be just as effective as before.

The off side, however, was made difficult to fix because I have had to bring the body as far forward as possible in order that the bonnet can be trimmed to fit. Fortunately there was just enough room for the strut to fit....but it couldn't be a tighter clearance!

Finding the correct replacement fixings from my stash of nuts and bolts is becoming more difficult; especially BSF threads but I managed to find six 1" X 1/4" countersunk set screws and nuts that retain the radiator shell to the radiator. The p/o had used metric hex head bolts and nuts under the tape which is why the bonnet wouldn't close properly!

I then moved on to positioning the choke cable through the bulkhead and fitting it to the carb. Here clearances are pretty tight; in fact I have had to remove a surplus bit off the end of the cable retaining strut or it would come into contact with the starter switch terminal. There are rubber insulating boots for this purpose and I have fitted a couple. The good news is that when I come to fit the choke cable to the dash I know it actually works.

I think my next job is to try and get the bonnet to fit. This will take all my patience. I just hope I get it right first time because there is no room for error!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that I have been able to get a neat fit with the bonnet to the radiator. Moving to the bulkhead and things don't look so pretty. Whilst the off side was easily corrected by shaving material off the bonnet edge to achieve an equal gap for the rubber strip, the near side is nowhere near. The reason for this is that the corner of the bonnet appears to have been shaved off. There is 1/4" difference one side to the other.

I have a cunning plan..... Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a call today from Sandra the trimmer. The seat is done and the panels are being finished ,,,but,,, there is not going to be enough leather to enable me to do the dashboard and the matching side screen box. That is despite having had three large hides to work with

I thought about skimping the job and using vinyl ...but in the end I couldn't bring myself to cut corners (no pun intended!) and agreed to buy an extra half a hide.

On the plus side, Barbra has hand made all the piping from the same leather rather than just use "off the roll". I realise that the Hidem banding will be vinyl but fortunately it matches well.

Having got fed up with waiting to hear from MWS (Motor Wheel Services) about my new wheels, I called them myself this afternoon. They claimed I had ordered the wheels in June this year. I hit the roof!

I have been waiting over a year for my wheels and the last time I spoke to them they said October this year at the latest. Now they were saying next year!

I have convinced them I need the wheels NOW. HopefullyI should get them by the 18th of this month.

In other matters I have been stripping down the bonnet for paint. Strangely, I am finding traces of rust under seemingly good original primer and undercoat. I had thought perhaps I would not have to take it down to bare metal...but that is what I have ended up doing.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was making my missing door card I only ended up with enough leather to make a key fob.

When I made my headlining I was taking guidance from an original factory black & white photo. I made my own piping with the same material that I used for the head cloth. It was only later that I realised that the B&W image was deceptive and I should have made the piping with leather cloth.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 28 of 64

Jump to: