classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

63 Mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ausmat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: 63 Mini Reply with quote

Hi all,
A pic of my 1963 Austin Mini which I've owned for 6 years now. Prepared to do tours and rallies I'd thought I'd show a pic as I've been watching the oldclassiccar vids for a while now and really enjoy them.
Cheers
Very Happy

Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ausmat.

I bet that's a wolf in sheep's clothing?

1275?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found us, please tell us more about the Min Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ausmat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Welcome ausmat.

I bet that's a wolf in sheep's clothing?

1275?

It's a 1293 with the usual 'trick' bits. Twin carbs, big valve head, rally cam, lightened flywheel etc coupled to a straight cut gear set. Goes well but the straight cut does get annoying after a while! If the engine ever needs to come out again, I'll be putting standard back in! Laughing
I bought the car about 6 years from oop north and found out the car had spent most of its life in the same family from the Exeter area. It still has the original floors, boot floor and front panel. Pretty rare considering how bad these little boxes rot! Everything I've done has been done in a way that it can be easily reverted back to standard if desired. The original engine is under the bench awaiting a rebuild as it was pretty worn out when I pulled it out of the car around 4 years ago.

A few more pics.. first one at a local cars and coffee a couple of weeks ago. The first time the car had been out for a while.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minis are great fun to drive; not so much fun to work on. I grew up with Minis and 1100s because my engineer Dad was an authority on them. My favourite was the Cooper S but seeing that they are now fetching mega bucks I doubt I shall ever have one.

The main thing is to have fun. Wink
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had a few Minis in the early 80s. One was a genuine 970 Cooper, very rare here in the Netherlands back then. He had it for a year or so before sending it off to the scrapyard because it was worth next to nothing and the sills had rusted away. He found a twin tank Cooper S and had that for another year, this one I believe survived and is worth a substantial amount of money now especially as it is a genuine NL export car.
After the British Coopers he got an Italian Innocenti Cooper S. This was like the British Cooper S but a few years younger (1975) and had nice typical details like a different bootlid for a rectangular number plate, Carello headlamps and a impressive dashboard with many round instruments. He hold on to that car for many years. I remember driving it on a motorway in speeds exceeding 160 km/u (100mph), great fun!
My wife had a 1100 Special, a special version assembled only in Belgium in 1979. It was very nice being black with a black vinyl roof, and real nice black cloth interior. It rotted like hell, I replaced the rotted rear subframe in my tiny lockup and we sold it when the front wings were rusted beyond repair. The car was only 12 years old then.
We had a Mini 1000 a couple of years later but sold it quickly because the Imp was much more comfortable and roomier.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the "twin tank" Cooper S. These were offered as an option at first but it wasn't a very popular one so some early Coopers have just the one (if not added later).

I wonder how many genuine Coopers have been dismissed as fakes because of this alone.? The extra cylinder head stud should be enough to nail it though...then again, a 9 hole head can be easily converted to 11.... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: