classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lucas P100 headlamp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
sandbase

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Lucas P100 headlamp Reply with quote

Hello I have just joined the forum specifically to investigate the provenance, restorability and likely interest in a Lucas P100 headlamp that has been given to me to investigate. I believe it to be 1931/2 vintage and from an Alvis of that period. Initially I would like to identify the model. It is black painted which appears original, it has patterned frosted glass in good order, hinged glass panel and reflector, central main bulb mounted on tripod together with magnifying lens over reflector mounted auxiliary bulb. There is a simple connecting block mounted on the body and no evidence of a mechanical dipping system.
Is this sufficient to identify the model and can you please advise with whom I could discuss the merits and practicability of further work ?
Thanks Nick Sanders
Ps do I continue in this section or go to 'Electrical' ?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

The earlier ones are hinged at the top and have vertical fluted lenses. Later (some time around 1938/39) the hinge moved to the bottom and a Lucas crest was mounted at the top with a white enamel surround. Post war the white surround was omitted and the lens became frosted with a clear central area. Single dipping, where the off side lamp was extinguished and the near side dipped, was used in the UK up to a date ~ WW2. The dipping reflector was was operated by a solenoid.

A photo or two would help in identifying.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: