classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Painting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Painting Reply with quote

Later this year I plan on having my pickup re sprayed. The car itself is very sound but it has a terrible amateur cellulose paint job at the moment with runs and drips and it flakes off very easily.
There are a few small areas of the metal that require repairing though.
My plan is to weld in these small repair patches and prime them. I want to keep the car on the road through the summer.
I will use epoxy primer for this which I think is non porous.Hopefully, having all the repairs done ready for the big strip down will make it easier later on and help keep the price down.
Can anyone see a proplem with this plan? Is it ok to keep it in epoxy primer without a top coat for 6-10 months?
Thanks
Mike
Penguin45

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. Perfectly logical and sound reasoning. I'd go one step further on a belt, braces and safety pins basis and order up an aerosol of top coat from Jawel or St Helens (other paint suppliers are available). For the sake of an extra tenner, it'll look better and you know for certain that the surface is waterproof.

Chris.
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and advice Chris.
andycars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing something similar on a 1947 Rover Ten. Is epoxy primer OK to spray in the home garage without an air fed mask? And are there any top coats it will not ne compatible with?
Brent29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penguin45 wrote:
Hi Mike. Perfectly logical and sound reasoning. I'd go one step further on a belt, braces and safety pins basis and order up an aerosol of top coat from Jawel or St Helens (other paint suppliers are available). For the sake of an extra tenner, it'll look better and you know for certain that the surface is waterproof.

Chris.

Good to hear the aerosol top coat from Jawel is also recommended here. We'll work on uncle's new project soon after we finish installing the new wheels and nitto tires on the current Silverado project and clear the garage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: