classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Portable Garages
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Portable Garages Reply with quote

For some time now I have struggled for inside storage as my unit is quite small. I have plenty of yard space though.

So, after much deliberation and getting a very good ebay voucher this week I took the plunge and ordered a Clarke Heavy Duty instant garage. Not ideal but a better prospect than no cover at all.

Anyone have the same sort of issue and got round it with a portable garage?
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a portable{?} garage for around 7 years now. I got mine from Dancover [on an offer at the time, too good to miss]
I live in a rented house, with plenty of 'garage' space [indeed, landlord was happy for me to build one...I wasn't!}. I wanted a cover set-up for my Dellow. The Dancover was ideal.
It has a heavy duty PVC cover, laced to a steel tube frame, which is anchored to the ground with 4 two foot long ground anchors.
It is 6 metres long, and will hide the dellow plus a FIAT 126. It has sliding curtain 'doors' available at either end.
It has withstood the worst that nature could fling at it, with a modicum of wear & tear. Plenty of air flow, and is on a harcore base [which is sloping, hence my reluctance to build a garage]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this just this morning. I have two large (garage sized) chicken runs. They are basically a tubular frame but instead of chicken wire they could easily be covered with a tarpaulin. One of them was already covered over when we had been given the order to do so because of bird flu.

With a bit of work to put slabs down, just one of them would make a useful garage.

The hens might object to having their scratching area reduced though.
Very Happy
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a few of us have a common problem as in what to do with the stuff that ends up in our garages. I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163644630387 but I only paid £365 instead of the £475 on the listing.

Art
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine when more or less new. Now looks a bit tatty round the edges. The ties for the doors have long sine been replaced, but easy enough to arrange. Wear & tear on edges of doors, the odd small worn hole too [wind chafing] DAncover kindly sent me a large offcut of the cover material and a huge tube of glue [all from Denmark] to effect repairs. Needs reinforcing material where ties rub on sides. Frame does 'move' despite being bolted together tightly..but that's fine... it would all break if it didn't.

Check for widths and heights if using to shelter a larger car.....
The ground under mine is roadstone hard core. Grass & mud not so ideal for a semi permanent arrangement.
I found old discarded rubber car floor mats ideal for placing here & there, especially under the wheels.
I also have some offcuts of thin Stokbord plasticky sheets. very tough & resilient. Costly though. But, if intending to be used for quite a few years, Stokbord-type plastic sheet for flooring is probably better than slabs? Damp isn't an issue, as the 'tent' has plenty of ventilation. Gets hot in the sunshine though. I also use mine to store all sorts of stuff as well, out of the rain. Mower, engine crane, etc.
I have lights rigged up in the cross beams as well....just need to plug in an extension lead to a power source, and hey ho!

I also have a car port. This 'shelters' the bigger Mustang....It is a US-made affair, very sturdy, easy to erect, UV proof clear roofing sheets, internal guttering, etc...costly enough [around £900 for mine size] but fully flexible as to dimensions, where to place uprights, etc. Very clever design, able to withstand US mid west winter snows too.

That has large plastic click together floors from ebay, covered in gravel.

Landlord very impressed.....handy to keep in his good books.

Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it took a couple of hours but we put the Clarke garage up this morning.

Its actually really well made and we were really pleased. We moved the big Hillman out and put her in. The Commer just sheeted out in the yard started almost first time after quite a few months un started.

The Commer is now in the shed so finally we will be able to crack on with her restoration, its stalled a lot recently due to the weather etc.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are these portable garages attached to the ground?

thanks, R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the clarke one it has anchors that you can use on soft ground, they screw into the ground. For conrete you can drill and fix with base brackets on the upright post bases.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, the 2 ft long steel [galv.] poles were hammered into the ground [hardcore/subsoil] alongside the frame base.....they have clips which bolt to the frame rails.
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE one I have has a selection of anchors to suit most applications. There are 4 re-bar walking stick profile for hammering into hardish soil. 4 x threaded long rods whish would be for softer ground. 8 x socketed plates that could be rawlplugged into concrete. I have mine erected in a dmall courtyard behind the garage where it is protected from the worst of any wind.

Art
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not something I've looked into but I daresay it would be quite effective if the lower edges were made to be weighted down with ordinary concrete blocks, maybe it's an option?
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
It's not something I've looked into but I daresay it would be quite effective if the lower edges were made to be weighted down with ordinary concrete blocks, maybe it's an option?

On both the Machine Mart, and he DAncover units, the cover itself isn't attached to the ground at all.

Above is my tent frame during assembly.

This frame is secured to the ground via anchors.
The heavy PVC cover is then pulled over the top of the frame, and secured to the frame using stout lacing.
The overlap at the bottom seen in my other photo is to shed runoff clear of the interior. Works very well, but the bits touching the ground are prone to chafing wear after several years.
The cover must not be secured directly to the ground. The lacing gussets are very strong, so resist tearing.

There are cheaper versions that use a much lighter cover material. [of the sort cheap gazebos are covered in?]
I do not recommend thinner materials if the 'tent' is to be left erected for years.
If the finance is there, then buy a tent with the heaviest PVC covers the manufacturer offers.

If needs be, I'll try to take some photos of my tent's current interior?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clarke Garage cover is secured very well to the tubular frame, the lower tubes are actually threaded through sleeved sections of the cover so it certainly not going to blow off!

Its only the frame though that's fixed to the ground.
Brent29

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
It seems like a few of us have a common problem as in what to do with the stuff that ends up in our garages. I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163644630387 but I only paid £365 instead of the £475 on the listing.

Art

That one looks good. Going to show that to my uncle.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't take much to convert one of my chicken runs to a temporary garage.

@ £300 all in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: