classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Portable Garages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran out of time when we put up the garage and therefore we only weighted the base of each post not fixed them properly.

The result was not good when the storm hit last weekend...the frame moved so much in the wind that it scraped against the wings of our 37 Hillman leaving quite a lot of paint transfer on the original paintwork. As you can imagine I was rather angry...

So at 9pm on Friday night we went down the yard and drilled the concrete for 3 fixings on each upright post. It is now totally solid and held up very well to the storm over the weekend.

As for the car...2 hours of gentle polishing with turtle wax and it looks better than before!! I will post some pics.
52classic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Marquee/Party tent products are a good solution to a problem.

We have 2 of them. First one was bought secondhand and is clearly a good quality item if a little tatty now. It houses the F350 which is 21ft long and too tall to go through an ordinary garage door.

The second came off Ebay, under 200 quid. 3rd winter with us now. Much more flimsy than the first one but still OK. Bought to house the Chevy which has now moved on to pastures new.

We use a Stirlingboard floor. Drive the car onto the boards then screw down the tent frame to them. The cheaper one now has a PVC door and cladding on a timber frame on one of the ends. The 'downwind' side stays open. Currently the hibernation lodgings for the Metro and MGF.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We ran out of time when we put up the garage and therefore we only weighted the base of each post not fixed them properly.

The result was not good when the storm hit last weekend...the frame moved so much in the wind that it scraped against the wings of our 37 Hillman leaving quite a lot of paint transfer on the original paintwork. As you can imagine I was rather angry...

So at 9pm on Friday night we went down the yard and drilled the concrete for 3 fixings on each upright post. It is now totally solid and held up very well to the storm over the weekend.

As for the car...2 hours of gentle polishing with turtle wax and it looks better than before!! I will post some pics.
You were really unlucky with last weeks storm, wind wise it was the worse I have seen in Cheshire ever, we lost a green house and the 2 vehicles I have outside with covers lost the covers!, both covers recovered but damaged. I think in 99% of UK weather you would have been fine, I’m going to get one to house the 2 vehicles that are currently outside.

Dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so my home has a weatherbelt of trees behind and uphill of it, to the northerly side....Next door's, slightly higher than my home was living the horizontal life during Arwen...my experience was a stiff breeze.
My tent stayed exactly where it was...

Also did well covered in snow [as it has always done]....although in proper snowy weather I make the effort to dislodge the snow off the peak of its roof.

Constant airflow means not too much condensation....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So storm number two in just as many weeks...Been down and checked the garage on my way to work and its still standing firm and solid. The car Hillman is lovely and dry inside even after all the rain and wind last night from Storm Barra!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
So storm number two in just as many weeks...Been down and checked the garage on my way to work and its still standing firm and solid. The car Hillman is lovely and dry inside even after all the rain and wind last night from Storm Barra!
that’s good news Smile
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage is still standing strong, just come back from the yard working on the lorry for an hour.

I checked the Hillman inside the portable garage and the one thing I note is that theres a lot of condensation over the bodywork. I do wonder if a proper fitted cover would help of as she is where there is good air movement over the paint with no cover?

Would a cover make her sweat?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
The garage is still standing strong, just come back from the yard working on the lorry for an hour.

I checked the Hillman inside the portable garage and the one thing I note is that theres a lot of condensation over the bodywork. I do wonder if a proper fitted cover would help of as she is where there is good air movement over the paint with no cover?

Would a cover make her sweat?

I believe it would. You also run the risk of the cover leaving permanent marks on the paint. I keep Trundles covered over with a large blanket. Nice and cosy! Wink
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get condensation [in cold weather] forming on the inside of the tent cover.

This can drip down on whatever is underneath.
Mainly occurs when there's little wind, and temps are low.

I keep the vents open either end of the tent, and the end doors don't fit very snugly, which helps air flow.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have mentioned this before; but one of my neighbours used to have problems with condensation dripping from the corrugated iron roof of his garage. He solved the problem by fitting an internal "roof" of corrugated plastic sheet, which catches the drips of condensation and directs the liquid into a gutter, then into a bucket - though a drain to the outside would work, of course.

I'll admit I was skeptikal when I saw this lot being assembled, but to my surprise it really works. Maybe something similar could be applied to one of these temporary garages, if condensation was a problem?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run a lead out and install a dehumidifier? They're pretty cheap these days and cost peanuts to run. My wooden garage was up to 80% humidity before I installed one, but now stabilises at 55%.Just run the evacuation tube under the side or door and your problem is solved. No need to keep emptying the pitifully small tank. Mine feeds into a gallon can and madam uses the water for the iron, since we live in a very hard water area!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put up with the drips....If a really cold spell is in the offing, I can briefly throw a tarp over the car....But I open the door[s] of the tent most days anyway, since it also houses various large tools, etc....so it tends to dry out quickly enough if there's any winter sunshine.

Besides, being a low income pensioneer, I don't 'power' anything that a bit of exercise cannot deal with....for cost reasons.

Tent also useful for stacking logs/wood briefly out of any snow, etc, as 99% of my heating is a wood burning stove....and the wood was/is free.
I'd be tempted to save all those little bags of ''silica' desiccant that one finds in boxes of stuff...especially covid lateral flow test kits....put them in a cloth or muslin bag and hang it up in the tent rafters?
Might deter bats from roosting as well?

Smile
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condensation is the bane of my life. When we moved here there was no garage and the local Council planning department were at first unwilling to grant me consent for a garage at all (due to green belt restrictions) until by chance I discovered that there HAD been a garage at the property before. This established a precedent and after much discussion a compromise was reached whereby I could have a garage that would be a regarded as a "temporary structure"; it being made from pre cast concrete sections bolted together.

The "Compton" garage I chose cost £3000 22 years ago! I have since regretted not opting for a wooden structure because of the condensation. On occasions it drips onto my work bench and lathe which is very frustrating.

MOTTO: NEVER BUY A CONCRETE GARAGE!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Unless it has a bedroom attached?

This, more or less, being my instruction to a local estate agent following my 2nd divorce, and division of financial assets....
Although I didn't mention concrete.
I very promptly was shown a one bed bungalow, 9 years old, with a double length [and slightly wider than normal] garage attached.
Snapped up immediately....just what a car enthusiast needed!
I actually managed to lift the rear of the roof off it later, by getting a freshly charged battery to explode.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Condensation is the bane of my life. When we moved here there was no garage and the local Council planning department were at first unwilling to grant me consent for a garage at all (due to green belt restrictions) until by chance I discovered that there HAD been a garage at the property before. This established a precedent and after much discussion a compromise was reached whereby I could have a garage that would be a regarded as a "temporary structure"; it being made from pre cast concrete sections bolted together.

The "Compton" garage I chose cost £3000 22 years ago! I have since regretted not opting for a wooden structure because of the condensation. On occasions it drips onto my work bench and lathe which is very frustrating.

I feel sure that the right insulation overhead would sort that out. The problem is far more in the material used for the roof than the walls, a wooden garage with an uninsulated metal roof would also suffer with dripping condensation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: