classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We apply the filler straight on the metal once fettled back. I always recal the use of any filler as being frowned upon by our classic car enthusiasts round here, but even the best restorers use plenty of filler so these days I think its fine.

My plan is to get all the welding finished before the really cold weather hits us, then I can get the primers on and possibly some top coats before its too difficult to paint.

Thanks for that. I bought a hygrometer. It only cost a fiver off eBay but it has been able to show me when the humidity falls below 50%; the recommended level for paint.

My worry is micro blisters.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always painted indoors, but with the workshop being full we are looking to paint outside for the first time. It is covered so not completely open to the elements but as you say temp and moisture in the air are major factors.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We have always painted indoors, but with the workshop being full we are looking to paint outside for the first time. It is covered so not completely open to the elements but as you say temp and moisture in the air are major factors.

I have a painting shed which is dry but the hygrometer still has a high humidity reading most of the time. Only when we had a consistently dry spell did the reading come down below the magical 50%.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my "modern" daily (it's only 21) for MOT this morning and it passed, albeit with a few advisories.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My P38 passed the M.O.T. with no advisories. The tester knows I maintain my own vehicles and gives me a bit of slack...although having said that I suspect he would really quite like to find something to fail Laughing Laughing
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually used mine to carry a load that wouldn't fit in my daily driver the other day.

Had to clean it all out afterwards, obviously.

Found these glazing units in a skip, checked it was OK and recovered them for recycling. I've read about how to dismantle them, without ever considering whether they're actually toughened glass that will make it difficult for me to cut them to the required size. If they're not, these will see the greenhouse and cold frame repaired, with plenty of spares.

Other than that, some more cutting and welding on the project car.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scraped a bit of paint off the project this morning, because it was the only job I could do without having to take my jacket off and put overalls on. Nothing at all this afternoon, just too cold to be handling steel.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately it's been about the moderns(ish) here, erindoors' car needed tyres before an MOT attempt, then an exhaust to get it through said attempt. Mine passed aok this morning so that's a relief, also spent a while scraping off snow from the MX5 - Friday's storm blew off its fancy-pants cover so the '5 got a good soaking, something I was hoping to avoid. Still, at least the power's back on in the house, it was down from Friday evening until Sunday morning, which wasn't fun.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roaring fire here....but then, our power stayed on!

Handy to have cheap camping stoves for such instances?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the head, replaced the gasket, and refitted the head. It got too dark and too cold for me to fit the battery and distributor to test if I've got it right so that's a job for another day.

I shan't spoil the surprise of if I've fixed it or not until the video is out in a few weeks. Right now, I'm just hoping I got it all right since I haven't got the greatest confidence when it comes to doing any sort of engine work.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new clear plastic shield for my welding helmet. Amazing how much clearer the view is for such a small amount of money, compared to the one that's been on it since I bought it more than ten years ago.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like I’ve not posted here for ages! Visit for a read every day though.
Not been a great year for car related stuff, lost my Dad in July through Covid and it knocked my mojo tbh.
Anyways, had the Singer out of the garage today (dry day here).
I’m so pleased with the car in that when I recommissioned it originally, I fitted a brand new old stock carb and a great quality electronic distributor, even after standing she fires and runs smooth on the button.
A quick check over and after the Christmas decs were recovered off the shelf, back in and under cover she went. I have the battery rigged up to a conditioner so that’s all good.
I did a soldering job on the battery conditioner that we have fitted to my dads Wolseley 6110, will nip down in the week and fit that.
Hoping to fit the new exhaust to my Singer over the upcoming break.

Thanks

Kev
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I awoke the Firenza from hibernation, got a bit of fuel in it and need to run it for a bit while I try to trace an annoying poor running fault in my daily driver that means it sometimes won't run, and sometimes runs perfectly well. Just when all the parts people will be closed for a few days, and the postage service is slow due to being busy.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I needed to be in the shed. I took the opportunity to remove the covers of the Sunbeam Chamois. Did not think it would start after been standing for 6 months or so without a battery charger, but it did start without problems. So took it for a 20 minute drive, enjoyed it. It is easy to forget how pleasurable these little cars are.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally start the old car's engine each month and run it up to temperature and check that the clutch is free, however, I kind of missed most of November and December but started her up this afternoon.

It was supposed to be raining here most of the day but it has actually been bright and sunny if rather windy. The roads were quiet so instead of warming her up in the garage I took her around the block (only 4 miles).

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 85 of 119

Jump to: