classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter. The end result is, frankly, quite exquisite. Very Happy
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Peter. The end result is, frankly, quite exquisite. Very Happy

Thanks Ray, Photos can be flattering.

Peter Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep discovering what I call "Henry's Horrors"; examples of the previous owner's efforts at restoration. In particular his habit of painting straight over rust. The problem is that without removing ALL the new paint it is impossible to know where the rust may be lurking.

The bonnet has easily come apart into it's four sections which makes it much easier to handle although the louvres still need careful sanding which can be tiresome.

To enable a random orbital sander unobstructed work I decided to remove the bonnet catches and handles.

A point that would only be noticed by a concours judge is that some of the backing plate screws were attached with incorrect "square" nuts... which I have been able to correct.

There are two of these pretty little handles on each side. They are "handed" and are embossed with an "MG" logo in an octagon. I should probably keep these in place as original features but they have become pitted and look rather tired. I could have had them re plated but because they are made of Mazak the process is not guaranteed and much of the detail would get lost in the polishing...

Fortunately, the MG Octagon club supply quality replicas which are indistinguishable from new ones and while not cheap will nicely match the new door handles that I have already bought.

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: MG TC Reply with quote

Are you sure the square nuts were the incorrect type? Morris Motors used a lot of the old square nuts in the 30's and 40's.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: MG TC Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Are you sure the square nuts were the incorrect type? Morris Motors used a lot of the old square nuts in the 30's and 40's.

Ha! You've got me there. Now I won't sleep until I have got a definitive answer from an expert.! (joke).

On one bonnet side the 4 nuts that held the Amal latch backing plates were all hexagons. On the other side two were hex and the other two nuts were square. I did wonder where the square ones came from but ASSUMED they were wrong.

I will find out and post the answer.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I was right to discard the square nuts Wink

Does anyone know if these bonnet catches were made by the same 'Amal' company who made carburettors?

Amal Ltd. was a large manufacturing company based at
the Holford Works, Perry Barr, Birmingham where they made carburettors mainly for motorcycles... but they also made motorcycle handle bars and control levers under the name of a subsidiary company; Lazells Engineering.

I just wondered if these well engineered MG bonnet catches originated from the same place?

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, small square nuts = Meccano.

Bigger ones are captive.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
To me, small square nuts = Meccano.

Bigger ones are captive.

Peter

Yes...and no...as has been mentioned Morris used square nuts extensively. I have also seen them on a TA.

Incidentally, all the captive nuts on the TC are like these..

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name Amal can be seen on the base plate.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIPPEE!! My new wheels have arrived. Only took a year Rolling Eyes

It's like Christmas has come early ...and about twice as expensive!

As I already have the new tyres and tubes I shall go visit Longstone Tyres at Bawtry, Doncaster to have them fitted and balanced. Speaking with MWS I was advised that these centre laced wheels/tyres need to be balanced properly and relatively few places have the right equipment to do the job properly. Apparently, just mounting the wheels on a balancing machine using the normal "cones" is not good enough. It will be interesting to see how Longstone do it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove over to Bawtry, Doncaster this morning to have my new wheels and tyres fitted and balanced by Longstone Tyres.

There were one or two comments that the tyres had come from 'Vintage Tyres' in Hampshire but in truth they were just pulling my leg!

I was advised that the inner tubes that I had were poor quality. Didi I want to fit them? or would I prefer some good quality rubber not made in Korea?

I hadn't budgeted for an extra £75 + V.A.T. but they took off 5% and we went ahead. Balancing was different to what MWS had told me but I was satisfied that the Longstone guys know exactly what they are doing. They used an ancient machine with the wheel laid flat which I found very interesting.

I also met a couple of Austin Seven guys there who were getting tyres fitted for their Ulster reps.

Here are my beautiful new wheels ready to be fitted to the car.
I have to admit that it is an extravagance which might never have happened if we had known how Covid would affect our finances.

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I restored my MGA, a mistake I made was getting new tyres fitted not long after I had bought the project...18 years later when I finally completed the car, the first job was to drive the car to our local tyre shop to have new tyres fitted Shocked the fitter commented that it was the first time he had changed a set of tyres that still had the manufactures paper sticker on Embarassed

Future projects shall have new tyres fitted at the very end of the restoration!

Glad you went for painted rather than chrome wheels Very Happy

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
When I restored my MGA, a mistake I made was getting new tyres fitted not long after I had bought the project...18 years later when I finally completed the car, the first job was to drive the car to our local tyre shop to have new tyres fitted Shocked the fitter commented that it was the first time he had changed a set of tyres that still had the manufactures paper sticker on Embarassed

Future projects shall have new tyres fitted at the very end of the restoration!

Glad you went for painted rather than chrome wheels Very Happy

Dave

Yes, I don't think chrome or polished stainless wires look right.

I thought long and hard about what tyres to fit. I had considered Blockley but was put off by the suggestion that they give too hard a ride with the limited suspension on the TC.

Steve Baker was of the opinion that it depended on how you like to drive. If you need high grip then go for Blockley. If, on the other hand, you enjoy a bit of drift; then Waymaster is the way to go.

These cars have elegant and predictable handling. A combination of limited suspension and a flexible chassis means a rear wheel will lift (and thereby loose traction) just before the limit is reached.

I chose Waymaster. Only time will tell if it was the right choice or not.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to preparing the beaten up rear wings. I have worked long and hard on these but now at the stage where welding is needed. As can be seen there is a rather large hole where one of the wings had been ripped from the body at some distant time in the past.

I decided to weld a large washer onto the hidden side. The photo shows it in position prior to welding. I used small, powerful magnets for holding it in place.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now received the new interior. Very nice too!

One thing I will need eventually are the 1/2" wide chrome trims that will surround my new perspex side screens. They are held onto steel frames by special "T" screws, retained in chrome plated brass strips which should be neatly mitred in the corners. These kits have not been available for many years so people have settled for modifying TD kits which have the less attractive "spoon" ends. At £300 I have held off their purchase but my patience seems to have paid off as today I did a deal with a fellow TC owner who bought a couple of TC kits as part of a "job lot" many years ago.

The kit is thought to be N.O.S. mitred and ready to fit. We agreed £55 to include all the fixings (62 "T" screws and nuts) and postage. If all goes well, this should be one of the last things that I do to the car so although a fair way off will be one less thing to worry about.

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 29 of 63

Jump to: