classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Black ‘Gunk’ underseal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
old iron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Black ‘Gunk’ underseal Reply with quote

A recently restored car for sale, I requested some images and they show the underside heavily coated in a bitumen looking type sealant. This underseal also covered the rear leaf springs which doesn’t seem right to me ?
Alarm bells ringing here? Thank you..
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect someone genuinely thought they were doing the right thing if they found rust on the underside and springs. Cover it in black stone chip to stop it getting worse. Perhaps they thought it would help get through an M.O.T.?

Someone trying to hide serious rot might not have been that naive. Filling rust holes with glass fibre and body filler then a nice paint job is what I call a wicked disguise.
old iron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A closer look at the images showed the ‘gunk’ had flaked off/chipped off from a small area on the leaf spring, showing rust underneath. My search continues
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust is not a killer of leaf springs. They are helped with a little graphite grease between the leaves but black goo won't harm them.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the springs needed replacing, it's not really a deal breaker as far as cost is concerned.

I chose to replace my rear springs but restored the front ones. I was advised to taper the ends (and round off the corners) to stop "digging in".

In the absence of any graphite grease handy, I used corn head grease produced by John Deere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: