classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Thin wall cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Thin wall cable. Reply with quote

I have noticed that electrical suppliers are offering thin wall cable. Has anyone had experience of this type of cable and how do they like it compared with standard PVC ?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its what's been used on every modern for he last 15+ years, can look odd in a classic, but perfectly reliable.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt it is fine but I won't be using it. If mixed up with standard cable I would get even more confused. Confused
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I don't doubt it is fine but I won't be using it. If mixed up with standard cable I would get even more confused. Confused

I agree about not mixing them up; 9/0.30 cable, probably the most frequently used cable in classics wiring looms can carry 5-6 amps, has the same overall diameter as a thin wall cable that can carry 25 amps Shocked

Could get very confusing!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I agree about not mixing them up; 9/0.30 cable, probably the most frequently used cable in classics wiring looms can carry 5-6 amps, has the same overall diameter as a thin wall cable that can carry 25 amps Shocked

Could get very confusing!

Dave

Perhaps there is an exception to the rule. I have a niggling worry that although my headlamps and horn have relays the wiring from the switch needs to go via a multi plug and the heavy braided wire does not fit neatly in the plug.

I assume with a relay I shouldn't need heavy wire and 9/30 would be O.K. but I worry that if in future the relay should fail ...and be bypassed... the consequences could be disastrous.

That is why I am considering thin wall as it carries a heavier load for the same diameter and would, I think, be safer.

I could, I suppose, use a heavier multi plug just for the lights and horn but I am trying to reduce clutter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: