classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a head light/torch very often when working in the garage.
A while ago I finished what I was doing and had to drive to get some fuel and then to the shops for some groceries.
On the way home I happened to scratch my head and realized that I was still wearing the head lamp.
Not only that but I then realized that I had been pushing the trolley round the supermarket with it switched on!
What an eejit.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First big show for the Commer truck has been confirmed so its now a big push to get the restoration really going.

The plan is to have the cab fully repaired/welded and rubbed down/filled etc ready for spraying in March. We are quite a way into it, about half the welding is done. This last week has really been spent filling and rubbing down the already repaired sections. I will try to get down there today to do some fabricating in prep for some welding tomorrow.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Sunday was spent welding in newly fabricated door frames on the passenger side of the cab. I had a quick hour down the yard today spent with the grinder getting those welds down so we can apply a layer of filler tomorrow.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally made serious headway on the Lanchester rewiring. Also managed to free the brass olive that had got stuck on the stator tube so that I could remove it. You can just squeak the stator tube out without it reaching the headlining. Now I can repair the horn push I broke and I can run new wires to match the new harness.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Sunday spent grinding and rubbing down filler...

We are getting there but you forget how long this part of the restoration takes!!
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polished up the first of the Wolseley's repsrayed panels. Looks okay.
Then spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up an oil spill on the garage floor when a decanting of oil from a large container into a smaller one overflowed!!!!!!
Boring Tucson SUV
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did absolutely nothing - except to think that it is about time to sell it. I don't use it a lot any more, don't do "proper" rallies or track days with it, and just drive it to meetings and back. It deserves better than that.
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finally finished putting the Daimler 15 steering back together, new front brake wheel cylinders, new king pin O/S, steering TRE's, steering box rebuilt new wheel bearings and all that that entailed, including carburettor off, etc, I went for a road test last week, highly delighted that the steering was now considerably precise.
Returning yesterday to take for a longer run there was a very large noticeable puddle of oil that had spread all under the middle of the car.
Oh great joy!
Now the bloody brake master cylinder has decided to give up.
More expense!
Sometimes I really think this car is determined to see me in the poor house.
(New cylinder = £250...) Ouch!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to get the back end panels fitted to the project, and for some reason I keep putting it off by doing minor things that do need doing, but don't need doing yet. Yesterday I actually put a step along the edge of one quarter panel ready for the repair to fix to it, so I'm at least trying.

Today, as I've vaguely heard it might be a bit windy, I might stay at home and re-make the circuit board for the instrument panel on the Firenza. I brought the stuff home with me just before Christmas, so it's not been that long.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really got the bit between the teeth with the work on the lorry now, all the welding/fabricating is complete so its filling and sanding now. But, I am literally spending every hour I can sanding now. The plan was to have her ready to spray by the end of March so we are well on target for that.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a general tidy-up and a bit of a move-around yesterday. The recent storms damaged a couple of car covers, the Commer's cover is now in a poor state so I need to crack on and get that ready to move on. The lean-to at the back, which wasn't great before, is suffering a bit more now too.

The weather has confirmed my thoughts that trying to keep anything outside here, which is quite exposed to wind at the back, isn't really viable so the aim really has to be that anything old is in the garage, not outside, so a re-shuffle is on the cards.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky with respect to wind {!}

Due to the localised lie of the land, and despite being exposed to vast, open, fields, judiciously-planted tree weather break behind my 'plot' [not owned, merely rented]....means that the prevailing westerly and NW-ly wind directions are dissipated.
Ten yards slightly uphill from me is a quite different proposition.
200 yards further, and all the dog walkers have a permanent 45 degree lean..

I am also nowhere near anywhere likely to suffer from occasional floods...

All I have for 'protection' are the Dancover tent [probably a better quality than that from Machine MArt?]...and a US-made open car port which protects from UV rays....but not quite long enough for my current needs. Also claimed to be strong enough tp withstand the weight of several feet of snow on the 'roof'...

I have had garages in the past.....[including blowing the end off one!]....but often found them to have as many snags as solutions.

Purpose-built units of the industrial sort are probably the best solution...but for me would prove more expensive to acquire than the values of the cars it might protect?
Besides, our local authority is somewhat opposed to allowing one to construct bedrooms, bathrooms & kitchens inside for the owner...

A cheap, but slightly long term solution to weather protection might be to plant hedging or trees [if one has the depth of room?] as windbreaks. They are very effective at doing that, but require good management.

Personally...aside from the inconvenience of having to [as I get older] consider the weather forecast before attempting any sort of maintenance work on my cars....I haven't really had many problems with having cars outside, full-time.
A wide enough workshop would be nice....but one cannot have everything, I suppose?

Modern housing solutions don't lend themselves to habitation unless one conforms to a socially acceptable norm.

Which I don't!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:

Modern housing solutions don't lend themselves to habitation unless one conforms to a socially acceptable norm.

Which I don't!

But you can't be on your own there, Alastair. Maybe there is a gap in the market for a development of, essentially, industrial units with basic living accommodation incorporated. Plenty of room for your projects and hobbies, plenty of parking for larger vehicles, no pesky gardens to maintain. I reckon there's plenty of folk - mostly men, but not all - who would want to live somewhere like that.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Bitumen Boy wrote:
alastairq wrote:

Which I don't!

But you can't be on your own there, Alastair. Maybe there is a gap in the market for a development of, essentially, industrial units with basic living accommodation incorporated. Plenty of room for your projects and hobbies, plenty of parking for larger vehicles, no pesky gardens to maintain. I reckon there's plenty of folk - mostly men, but not all - who would want to live somewhere like that.

But would the "burycrats" in the planning office permit them.

Clive Cussler's character Dirk Pitt was depicted as living in a large Airstream, or similar, inside a large hangar which also housed his classic cars and aircraft.
Only in America I think

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time railway arches provided that kind of accommodation ... but I think they are frowned on these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 117, 118, 119  Next
Page 87 of 119

Jump to: