classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

warning lights.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: warning lights. Reply with quote

Just for fun...........

I have been trying to decide which warning lights I should have on my new TC dashboard.

What I need to do is prioritise from the following;

1) an ignition warning light (red)

2) an indicators warning light (green)

3) a petrol low level light (blue)

4) a low oil pressure warning light

5) a main beam warning light

6) hazard warning light
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I believe 1,2,5 and possibly 6 are legal requirements.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi

Good evening. Do you know if it is easy or even possible to use one warning light for direction indicators AND hazards?

I have only seen them illuminated separately. Confused
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1988 built 2CV didn't come with an ignition warning light (still hasn't got one). They also never came fitted with a main-beam or indicator warning lights (though I have fitted them for my own benefit) as they're not legally required. The original flasher unit had a fairly loud clicking sound that acted as an audible warning which was good enough for approval. The hazards did activate a red warning light though.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Penman wrote:
Hi

Good evening. Do you know if it is easy or even possible to use one warning light for direction indicators AND hazards?

you could have the same warning lamp for both, if both supply sources for the lamp were fed via a diode, however you wouldn’t know which circuit was warning you?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:
Penman wrote:
Hi

you could have the same warning lamp for both, if both supply sources for the lamp were fed via a diode, however you wouldn’t know which circuit was warning you?

Dave

Sure, but I would know which switch was in use?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Do you know if it is easy or even possible to use one warning light for direction indicators AND hazards?

It's easier if you have a separate warning light for each side, and just have them both flashing when the hazards are running.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers 2, 5 and 6 are mandatory.
IE, indicator tell-tale [visual ], main beam tell-tale [blue] and hazard warning light tell-tale, [if hazards are fitted]
There is no requirement, as far as I can tell, for an ignition warning light.
It's all in here, for easy access

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/930247/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual-passenger-vehicles.pdf

Given the amount of time, effort and hard-earned that has gone into this car, I suggest a very large [2 inch or greater] warning light for low oil pressure??
Maybe linked to a klaxon?
Are you fitting rear fog lights?
If so, they too must have a tell tale indicating activation.
If you are fitting a rear-mounted white spot lamp, or reversing light, which isn't activated by the gearbox or gear lever, then the switch should have a warning light too, since it is unlawful to drive forwards on the PH showing a white light to the rear. If activated by a switch, this light can be deemed a 'working light'{???} which can also be used to aid reversing.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about fitting bells and whistles, Alastair!.. but your more serious point about a reversing light is noted. I specified wires in the loom for a reversing light and a switch on the T9 gearbox. The problem is that the switch sticks out too far and would probably get in the way of my left leg. I either leave out the reversing light altogether, or have a remote switch with warning light.

The link is very useful. Thank you.

Incidentally, I have a rare, expensive, and correct for period Lucas SFT 462 Fog lamp with original PS6 switch which would have been fitted from new.

Last edited by Ray White on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad experienced a number of failures with repro Lucas hydraulic brake light switches on his Morris 1000, so he fitted a "brake lamp" warning light; top right on the "auxiliary" dashboard, so that he could be confident his brake lights were working!

The bottom left (blue) is the hazards, bottom right (orange) rear fog lamp.

He was always more concerned about practicality rather than authenticity Smile

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. You can be sure to be stopped by the Police if a single brake light is out. If a switch fails you loose both lights!
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can be sure to be stopped by the Police if a single brake light is out.

Definitely so back in the 1970's [or, 1790's?]....but today? I think not. Not enough enforcement other than at MoT time....if casual observation after dark on a major road is anything to go by?
As long as the off side brake light works, the near side brake light can remain blown until able to fix.
I used to advise military personnel that they could pinch the nearside fog light bulb to replace the O/s brake bulb if needs be. Since both will be 21 watt bulbs by regulation.

However, with the new vehicle regulation specifying a third, high level dazzler brake light on new vehicles, I do wonder whether the existing brake light regs still apply? IE, is the high level brake light now counted? From casual observation [I'm retired so I no longer apply professional observation]....I note many drivers with no O/S brake light working, but they're happy because they think the high level light is good enough.

Heaven preserve us!
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Quote:
You can be sure to be stopped by the Police if a single brake light is out.

Definitely so back in the 1970's [or, 1790's?]....but today? I think not. Not enough enforcement other than at MoT time....if casual observation after dark on a major road is anything to go by?
As long as the off side brake light works, the near side brake light can remain blown until able to fix.
I used to advise military personnel that they could pinch the nearside fog light bulb to replace the O/s brake bulb if needs be. Since both will be 21 watt bulbs by regulation.

However, with the new vehicle regulation specifying a third, high level dazzler brake light on new vehicles, I do wonder whether the existing brake light regs still apply? IE, is the high level brake light now counted? From casual observation [I'm retired so I no longer apply professional observation]....I note many drivers with no O/S brake light working, but they're happy because they think the high level light is good enough.

Heaven preserve us!

Some interesting points there, Alastair. Things I didn't know.... like the off side brake light taking priority; makes sense, really.

Believe me, if I had a light fail on my car it would attract the attention of the most keen, anal, pedantic and vindictive copper in Britain. Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking now that what I must do is be careful not to "clutter" the dashboard with idiot lights.

1. red ignition warning light

2. green indicators warning light (new)

3) blue main beam warning light (new)

4) red oil pressure warning light. (new)

The Ign. warning light is standard and already wired in.

The hazard warning light idea is dropped.

The main beam warning light replaces the petrol low level light which in turn has been replaced with a gauge.

The oil pressure light is in addition to a gauge.

I think any other warning lights will need to be mounted on a small auxiliary panel... perhaps at a later date when the car is up and running.?
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Believe me, if I had a light fail on my car it would attract the attention of the most keen, anal, pedantic and vindictive copper in Britain. Laughing

With a bit of luck, he'll have retired before you finish the car?

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: