classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

warning lights.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Quote:
Believe me, if I had a light fail on my car it would attract the attention of the most keen, anal, pedantic and vindictive copper in Britain. Laughing

With a bit of luck, he'll have retired before you finish the car?

Smile

Either he gets a long service medal... or I do! Sad
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Adding Modern Equipment To old Vehicles Reply with quote

I don't know if it is the same in UK but in Australia if you add something it must comply with today's laws. But original items that do not comply with today"s laws are OK.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Modern Equipment To old Vehicles Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
I don't know if it is the same in UK but in Australia if you add something it must comply with today's laws. But original items that do not comply with today"s laws are OK.

The general rule here is that if something is fitted it must work.

Cars over 40 years old are exempt from MOT testing but the test is still available if you want it.

What I am not sure about is whether the age exemptions that apply in a MOT test still apply to vehicles that the Police arbitrarily stop and inspect?
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observations.
The number of cars I see on the roads with stop lights not working is widespread these days, and for that matter with only one headlamp working.
The traffic police are almost non existent nowadays.
The young police officers employed today consider it too much trouble to police. They have far more focus on dealing with drugs and street violence.
Old geezers like us are considered generally law abiding and they seem reluctant to stop us.
I think you're worrying too much..
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was a lad my Dad reversed out of our drive in the fog. The Morris Series E didn't have a reversing lamp fitted and he knocked our local Bobby off his bike.!!

The Copper was pretty shaken up but with a warm by the fire and a stiff Brandy he was cheered up and went on his way !

Things were different in those days. Very Happy
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I remember when I was a lad my Dad reversed out of our drive in the fog. The Morris Series E didn't have a reversing lamp fitted and he knocked our local Bobby off his bike.!!

The Copper was pretty shaken up but with a warm by the fire and a stiff Brandy he was cheered up and went on his way !

Things were different in those days. Very Happy

My Dad got stopped for having a push bike with 'defective brakes' while biking to Derby in July 1969, he was stopped by a copper and fined £3! By my reckoning that's quite a hefty fine. The reason he was found out is because he'd violated a 'stop' warning at a junction, although there was no traffic around (aside from a waiting copper...)

In another, later, incident he was involved in an RTA and very badly needed the toilet. The police officer on the scene directed him to a nearby bus shelter. Both he and the driver who hit him had been to the pub, and the decision on who got arrested was based on how many pints both had consumed. My Dad had drank four, the other chap had drank five so he was nicked.

Definitely different times!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nicked for being a passenger in my Dad's car! While you uncross your eyes I had given the keys to a friend to drive me home after too much imbibing but the plod said I was still in charge because it was my Dad's car and not the driver's.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I got nicked for being a passenger in my Dad's car! While you uncross your eyes I had given the keys to a friend to drive me home after too much imbibing but the plod said I was still in charge because it was my Dad's car and not the driver's.

Despite what he said, I think the Officer may have thought actually you were the drunken owner....

... and strangely, if there was an accident, your father; not the driver, or you, could have been found liable. A claim would have been made against his insurance. not yours.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the 'friend' was not insured to drive 'Dad's' car. If the penalty for no insurance was more than for drunk driving, the copper may have done the son a favour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: