classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Automotive Glass cut to size
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually £134 with the VAT?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its less than you would pay for a pair of windows for a mainstream modern, sound ok to me.
Dave
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a new flat rear cab window cut for my car a few months ago at my local windscreen shop they told me that it's getting harder to get suitable glass. So they buy Land Rover windscreens to cut them from.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why laminated for door windows? Not exactly common practice/fitment and not really needed. Non-laminated glass would be cheaper as well.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took the polycarb door window template to a local glazing company and a week later I've been over to pick up two glass windows cut and bevelled to shape.

We've cleaned up the very rusty original runners to hold the glass and they are now painted ready to take the new glass this weekend when we go down the yard. The plan is to have them fitted and all the door trim back in place by the end of the weekend ready for the doors to be painted.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extremely disappointing morning spent on the lorry...

We sealed the runner on the new door glass and got a lovely snug fit. This morning we carefully and I mean very carefully fitted the passenger side glass back in the door and did it without any scratches or dinks. We were very pleased.

We fitted the mechanism and then carefully wound the window up...then a crunch...then a crack...then lots of swearing..

The glass for some reason is too tight for the channels..we were stumped as this had been cut from a template of polycarbonate that was fitted when we bought her.

At that point I said let's just have a look at the template and to my horror we found that the polycarbonate that was fitted was actually of two different sizes!?!?! One is around 5mm shorter in length...that 5mm that would allow free travel!?!?

I had the glass cut from the polycarbonate template that was on the larger size...very frustrating and an expensive mistake. So, now I will need to get two more cut to the smaller template, we checked this smaller one and it slides nicely in the channels.

Not happy.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be possible to get a glassworks to reduce the remaining good glass? Then you would only need to get one made to the smaller template.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did get the drivers side glass in Ray and we have left it in place for now.

We did find it would wind up, although tight but the top is not the right profile for the channel, and it leaves quite a gap around the rear top corner.

I will take a pic next time I am down there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: