classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely sunny day down here yesterday so spent the afternoon down the yard. Managed to measure up, cut and shape the biggest and worse repair section on the passenger side of the body cross members.

Thats now 3 of the cross members repair sections cut and ready to refit, only a couple more to do before I move on to replacing both main side members.

These are more difficult again, around 3m long but with a mulitude of fixing holes to be maked and drilled in them.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend gave me a bottle of Water Wetter, a product I have never tried. The E-type regularly dumps water when hot so I'm giving it a try.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired up big Dodge for the first time in a while, with the points cleaned up and a drop of fuel straight into the pump to enable it to fire and pull the fuel up from the tank (saves churning away on the starter) it fired up promptly enough. I suspect the 12v battery that it's had for the last 11 years or so is beginning to wilt, so I'll look out for a replacement.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a 3D printer, but I don't like how long it takes to produce stuff and I can't think that I'd be happy leaving it going while I'm out, or overnight. I'm also unimpressed that pretty much the first few things that people have to print are things to make the 3D printer work properly, though maybe that's only on the entry-level models.

I did an oil and filter change on the Firenza today, it hasn't done many miles since the last time but it was pretty dirty. It might have had some little bits of metal in it, but I didn't clean the drain tray completely before I used it, so they might not be too bad news. I also managed to forget how much oil comes out when the filter is removed, fortunately I'm near to a carpenter so there's always some sawdust around the place.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I have an air leak in the CA induction, prior to taking the manifold’s off I thought it would be prudent to do a cylinder leak down test in case of a valve or head gasket issue (I could more easily whip the head off, as the manifold would be off)
I ran the engine for about 15 mins to warm it up, then got distracted on a gardening issue! So the leak down test indicated all cylinders were ok, I could hear hiss from the dip stick on all of them, given that the engine was not at operating temp, I’m happy with this.
Yesterday I collected a Victor engine (basically same as my CA engine) that had been advertised locally on eBay, got it home and found its on standard bearings and pistons, so well pleased.

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a military show next weekend so as it was such a hot day today I took the Hillman up to town to get the fuel, £25 of petrol and it only went up to half full!!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I took the Firenza to a local show I popped the front end up and discovered a bit of play in the offside front wheel bearing. I took the wheel off to sort it out, and while checking the rest out noticed that the nyloc nut on the lower ball joint had about 3mm of free space between it and the suspension arm. Either it's undone itself since I had the arm off to swap the bushes in 2019, or I didn't tighten it up properly at that point, and I can't think how either of those could have happened. It does remind me that I need to check these things more often, and perhaps get it in for an optional MOT.

So the job for later this week is to turn the car and check the other side. I still need to swap the bush in the lower arm, but I have it out again on Saturday so that can wait for a bit.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Before I took the Firenza to a local show I popped the front end up and discovered a bit of play in the offside front wheel bearing. I took the wheel off to sort it out, and while checking the rest out noticed that the nyloc nut on the lower ball joint had about 3mm of free space between it and the suspension arm. Either it's undone itself since I had the arm off to swap the bushes in 2019, or I didn't tighten it up properly at that point, and I can't think how either of those could have happened. It does remind me that I need to check these things more often, and perhaps get it in for an optional MOT.

So the job for later this week is to turn the car and check the other side. I still need to swap the bush in the lower arm, but I have it out again on Saturday so that can wait for a bit.

This is what I have been saying; the M.O.T. test may be voluntary for older cars but if nothing else it is another pair of eyes ... and who is to say we don't all make mistakes from time to time. None of my cars have ever failed a test but as I get older I do forget more things; especially if I get distracted!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a show at the weekend, taking the big Hillman along so each night after work I am down the shed polishing. Its now I realise the work involved in owning such a big car!!

My 10 year old has volunteered to come down with me tonight...
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the other side of the front suspension before I take the car out again at the weekend, all was fine.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a great weekend at Westonzoyland down here in Somerset. Its an annual event we call WARAG and its a mix of military and agricultural theme from wartime Britain. Its based on part of the old wartime airfield so there are lots of pillboxes and runway still about.

We took the Hillman and were parked outside the restored dispersal hut. It was very hot, the crowds were huge which is great for a small independent show.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done anything to it, but I have done something with it. Today I drove my 90-year-old Morris Minor 180+miles across country, from Worcester to the Norfolk/Suffolk border. I'm here to take part in the Pre-War (Morris) Minor Network's Summer rally and tours. By the time I get back to Worcester on Monday afternoon the little car will have done close on 500 miles. The Minor is absolutely fine after today's endeavour. I'm wrecked, so I'm off to bed Laughing

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got a nagging fault with the alternator on the hatch, which manifested itself on the trip to Tatton Park the other day, but instead of fixing it I've been working on the tops of the inner wings on the project. I've repaired them once, but it was clear from the bonnet and outer wing test fit that they weren't in the right place. They're pretty good now, but I've got to break off and make a few bits for someone else.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more fiddling with the alternator today. I swapped the big connector as that looked a bit dodgy, but that didn't help, so I fitted another alternator that I've cleaned out. Output is a little lower, but I don't have a warning light so far.

While I had the Crypton out, I thought I'd check the dwell angle because the car felt a bit "fluffy" last time I drove it, it had dropped to 28 degrees, so I adjusted it and got it to 33 (it should be 35-37). That's nowhere near the points gap that the Haynes book suggests, but I only get about 20 degrees when I set it to that.

The puzzle, though, is why it keeps dropping. To decrease the dwell angle means increasing the points gap, so it can't be that the little plastic thing is wearing out.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
I have done anything to it, but I have done something with it. Today I drove my 90-year-old Morris Minor 180+miles across country, from Worcester to the Norfolk/Suffolk border. I'm here to take part in the Pre-War (Morris) Minor Network's Summer rally and tours. By the time I get back to Worcester on Monday afternoon the little car will have done close on 500 miles. The Minor is absolutely fine after today's endeavour. I'm wrecked, so I'm off to bed Laughing

So the weekend has gone and I'm back home safely after close on 600 miles in which the little wooden box on wheels didn't miss a single beat. I'm amazed and in awe of this little car from Cowley.

I'll try and book a B&B a little closer to the action next year. Try to keep the miles down Laughing

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 91 of 121

Jump to: