classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old glass plate negative photos
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Old glass plate negative photos Reply with quote

I've inherited a vast number of old (pre First World War) glass plate negative photos. 99% are fairly to very mundane, but there are a few of early cars.

Does anyone know, and can preferably personally recommend, anywhere that can scan and digitize them so that the final photographs can be reproduced please?

I prefer somewhere where I can take them, I live in Cheshire.

Any advise gratefully received, thanks in advance.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that old is entirely mundane, too much history has been lost precisely because someone thought it was mundane and not worth keeping. I've no idea where you might get these digitised, but if you draw a blank here it could be worth speaking to a local museum or similar, they might know someone.
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Nothing that old is entirely mundane, too much history has been lost precisely because someone thought it was mundane and not worth keeping. I've no idea where you might get these digitised, but if you draw a blank here it could be worth speaking to a local museum or similar, they might know someone.

I'm not throwing any of them away, maybe when I retire I'll sort them properly.

Good suggestion about local museums, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is a pro photographer and they have some pretty amazing skills for renovating old photos and probably these too.
Take a couple along to a good photographer in your town and ask what the possibilities are. I'm sure they will help, or at least point you towards someone who can because they're in the know about such matters.
I recently had an old photo from late 1800's which was stuck on a board under glass, which was also bonded to the image and damages from water penetrative, but he made a restored image from it. I was astonished at the results.
https://flic.kr/p/2nqgqFb
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could they not be scanned on a flatbed scanner and then use some free software to reverse the image, if you are anywhere near Nantwich you can try on my scanner.

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flatbed scanner might work, or if you have an old overhead projector you could project them on to a clean wall and take a photograph of them.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flatbed scanner that can scan document as well as film and slides. Unfortunately the illumination for the film, in the upper section of the scanner is just about 35 mm across. I have used it for glass negatives by cutting a mask from black plastic with an opening the same size as the glass. Then I use a white light shining onto the bed of the scanner, through the masked negative.

I have had the scanner for about 10 years now, mostly used for documents and positive images but occasionally for films and slides.

When scanning transparencies the light withing the machine is off. This happens because of the unit's programme, but if a way can be found to extinguish the light in a standard scanner, I am sure that it can be used like mine.
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Glass prints Reply with quote

Can they be photographed with a digital camera preferably on a tripod or something steady. I did that with manuals that would not open far enough to put on a scanner.
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Could they not be scanned on a flatbed scanner and then use some free software to reverse the image, if you are anywhere near Nantwich you can try on my scanner.

Dave

Hi Dave, I'm tinkering with a flat bed scanner at home now, thanks for the offer. I'll see what I can do

Thanks to everyone else for their hints and suggestions. I promise that when I get some results I will post them here. I know that one of the cars is a 1905 Orleans as I still have the spare wheel and original purchase docs for it!
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
scanners with provision for negatives or slides usually seem to have a mirror arranged to give a light source shining through the neg/slide.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengt Axel wrote:

Thanks to everyone else for their hints and suggestions. I promise that when I get some results I will post them here. I know that one of the cars is a 1905 Orleans as I still have the spare wheel and original purchase docs for it!

Wow! Shocked

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article online somewhere about how to scan transparencies on a standard scanner, but I can't find it anywhere now. I was sure I'd bookmarked it, but clearly not. I have a couple of flatbed scanners that are able to scan transparencies, they both have a light unit in the lid to shine through it, but both have holders (and software) designed for either 35mm or slightly larger. I did have one in work that would scan up to A4, but it was lost when the building caught fire and I never thought to rescue it from the skip.

Light boxes are cheap, though - I've seen them in discount shops where they come with a box of letters so you can write "inspirational" messages on them, maybe you could adapt something like that to light up the plate, and then photograph it.
Bengt Axel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
I read an article online somewhere about how to scan transparencies on a standard scanner, but I can't find it anywhere now. I was sure I'd bookmarked it, but clearly not. I have a couple of flatbed scanners that are able to scan transparencies, they both have a light unit in the lid to shine through it, but both have holders (and software) designed for either 35mm or slightly larger. I did have one in work that would scan up to A4, but it was lost when the building caught fire and I never thought to rescue it from the skip.

Light boxes are cheap, though - I've seen them in discount shops where they come with a box of letters so you can write "inspirational" messages on them, maybe you could adapt something like that to light up the plate, and then photograph it.

Trying to get light through them has been an issue, so I'll track down a light box. I can always flog it on eBay if it doesn't work. Thanks.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengt
Try calling the London Transport Museum. It has done a lot of work with glass plate negatives & may be able to suggest some resources.

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/contact
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails, I have an A4-size lightbox which I can offer on loan. I'm in Nottinghamshire which I suppose is not too far away, but I can get it to a friend in Buxton, which is even nearer!

This is a glass negative which I photographed using the box - you have to be careful to get the camera square-on but it's not too difficult.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: