classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Thermostat jiggle pin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Thermostat jiggle pin Reply with quote

I have a new thermostat for the Bedford CA, it doesn't have jiggle pin, I'm thinking of drilling an 1/8" hole in to allow trapped air to escape, any reason why I shouldn't ?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat jiggle pin Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I have a new thermostat for the Bedford CA, it doesn't have jiggle pin, I'm thinking of drilling an 1/8" hole in to allow trapped air to escape, any reason why I shouldn't ?

Dave

There is no reason why you shouldn't drill a hole. The jiggle pin is only there to stop rust or break up gunk that might otherwise block the hole.

Some thermostats don't have a bleed hole in them because there will be a special bleed valve elsewhere; either in the housing or radiator hose.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to know, I've been wondering the same thing, I was never quite sure what the jiggle pin actually did and I keep forgetting to search for it. So there's no need to actually fashion some sort of pin to go in the hole once drilled?

The main reason for me was that I was given a load of thermostats which fit my seventies Vauxhalls (and my 2000 Audi uses the same one, as it happens), but half of them don't have jiggle pins.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll drill the hole and fit a stainless steel split pin to do the jiggling!

I got the thermostat from a local motor factor, turns out thermostats haven’t changed much as the one for my 67 Bedford is the same as fitted to loads of modern Audi’s & VW’s.

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
II got the thermostat from a local motor factor, turns out thermostats haven’t changed much as the one for my 67 Bedford is the same as fitted to loads of modern Audi’s & VW’s.

Dave

QTH102, by any chance? Or various similar numbers for different temperatures, I've got a 100 in one of mine to keep the temperature down a little bit.

Good idea on the split pin, I had been thinking of trying to bend up one of the pins in an old stat and prise it out, then re-fit to the new stat. Your way sounds much easier.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
II got the thermostat from a local motor factor, turns out thermostats haven’t changed much as the one for my 67 Bedford is the same as fitted to loads of modern Audi’s & VW’s.

Dave

QTH102, by any chance? Or various similar numbers for different temperatures, I've got a 100 in one of mine to keep the temperature down a little bit.

Good idea on the split pin, I had been thinking of trying to bend up one of the pins in an old stat and prise it out, then re-fit to the new stat. Your way sounds much easier.

Yep QTH102 is the one, its a Gates equivalent that came with more gaskets and seals than you can throw a stick at! probably indicates the variety of vehicles it has been fitted too over the last 50 years!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all cars are as straightforward as others. I know the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud has a Smiths "belows" thermostat that requires a special puller!

Not really relevant but I thought it might add interest. Very Happy
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had major problems with a 1955 Rover 90. Lots of leaks around the head to Radiator manifold. Fixed that and then after driving about 3 miles, the temp went high for a moment and on checking the water level had dropped considerably. Top of the water and all behaved as normal.
Much investigating with thermostats etc. Finally with a new thermostat, drilled a 1/16th hole in it and problem solved.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather different engines but the Triumph Acclaims we used to run really needed a small bleed hole drilled in new thermostats that were usually supplied without them. IIRC I used to drill them 3mm, which can't be far away from 1/8"... Smile Acclaim cooling systems are a little marginal, particularly on the manual cars, and it's one of the things we found to help.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Rather different engines but the Triumph Acclaims we used to run really needed a small bleed hole drilled in new thermostats that were usually supplied without them. IIRC I used to drill them 3mm, which can't be far away from 1/8"... Smile Acclaim cooling systems are a little marginal, particularly on the manual cars, and it's one of the things we found to help.

If the Acclaim didn't have a means of bleeding the cooling system I would not be at all surprised if they overheated! It is pretty basic stuff when it comes to engine design, but in those days all kinds of errors were made... and besides, BL could always blame the Japs!!

I can remember my Dad (who ran a garage business) would sometimes squeeze a hose to get rid of an air lock.

People would sometimes remove the thermostat altogether but that was not a very good idea.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

If the Acclaim didn't have a means of bleeding the cooling system I would not be at all surprised if they overheated! It is pretty basic stuff when it comes to engine design, but in those days all kinds of errors were made... and besides, BL could always blame the Japs!!

I can remember my Dad (who ran a garage business) would sometimes squeeze a hose to get rid of an air lock.

People would sometimes remove the thermostat altogether but that was not a very good idea.

Well now... the OE thermostats (probably Japanese) had the necessary bleed hole, but the aftermarket ones didn't and so needed drilling. Bleeding air out of the cooling system was another thing altogether, there was a bleed nipple for the purpose but it was in a very awkward spot where you had to remove the air cleaner assembly altogether and also a bridging piece that held the throttle and choke cables - though at least the latter could just be moved to the side once the bolts were out. They were a real pain to get at!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: