classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

BMW 507 garage find
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: BMW 507 garage find Reply with quote

Ooooooo nice find, parked since '79

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-10946685/BMW-507-hidden-garage-43-YEARS-sell-2-2m.html

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite car of all time. I've only ever seen one of them

Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet if BMW brought out a replica - at a reasonable price - it would sell like hot cakes!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that, like the "continuation" Jaguars, you can't register them for the road!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Except that, like the "continuation" Jaguars, you can't register them for the road!

Why can't they comply with modern regulations but make the cars look the same as before? Not impossible surely?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
lowdrag wrote:

Why can't they comply with modern regulations but make the cars look the same as before? Not impossible surely?

No reason at all, there were rumours around 10 years ago, that BMW were going to manufacture a Triumph badged car, that would follow the TR series, they have clearly have had success with the Mini, VAG similar with the Beetle, & Fiat with the 500.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:
lowdrag wrote:

No reason at all, there were rumours around 10 years ago, that BMW were going to manufacture a Triumph badged car, that would follow the TR series, they have clearly have had success with the Mini, VAG similar with the Beetle, & Fiat with the 500.

The main reason, I think, is that the money is in making what you might call "platform cars" that can be many different things to many different people simply by changing badges, lights, trim and so on. Producing something with classic looks - and perhaps not a great deal of practicality - just isn't going to be profitable.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt that it would be possible to remake old cars to today's regulations though. Think of the crash test requirements for a start, then air bags, lighting, emissions (that's probably the easiest) and anyway, they would be a limited market and probably for that reason rather dear. BMW uses the name "Mini" but they look nothing like the originals, which were slow, noisy, leaked like a sieve and rotted away in no time. I had the pleasure of driving an MG ZB Magnette last weekend, having had such fond memories of driving my Dad's one back in the early sixties, and it quite shattered my cherished memories.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lowdrag"...... I had the pleasure of driving an MG ZB Magnette last weekend, having had such fond memories of driving my Dad's one back in the early sixties, and it quite shattered my cherished memories.[/quote]

You might also be disappointed if you drove the BMW 507 !

Maybe best to keep cherished memories where they belong...in the past.! Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

You might also be disappointed if you drove the BMW 507 !

Maybe best to keep cherished memories where they belong...in the past.! Wink

Yes, it has worse performance than most ordinary cars on the road today.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are an odd lot aren't we?

My wife thinks we must all be a few miles short of a journey! Laughing
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one car that never disappoints, it's my E-type. Nearly 40 years together, and only two problems that meant we failed to proceed, both the dynamo bush. A new one overnighted and we were on our way the next day.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how every one raves about this car. I am sure this model almost sent BMW bump because of the warranty claims, it was so unreliable. The only thing that saved the company was producing the Isetta (I think I've spelt that wrong) bubble car under licence from the Italian company
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
Strange how every one raves about this car. I am sure this model almost sent BMW bump because of the warranty claims, it was so unreliable. The only thing that saved the company was producing the Isetta (I think I've spelt that wrong) bubble car under licence from the Italian company

Here is a synopsis of the Isetta 300. The reviewer (obviously of a nervous disposition) regarded the little bubble car as pretty horrible and is guilty of reiterating that there was no reverse gear; which it definitely did have.

MY point, however, is that while I was enthusiastic about the one I had when I was 16, I doubt I would feel the same at 68.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: