classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alternator fuse?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Alternator fuse? Reply with quote

I have installed a positive earth Dynamater (alternator that looks like a dynamo) and it came with a wiring diagram that I am posting here.
http://www.accuspark.co.uk/InstructionsPDF/Dynamator%20Positive%20Earth%20Instructions.pdf

I have a relay wired as shown but what I need to know is...do I have to fuse it somehow? If so, where does a fuse go?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray ,what do want the fuse to protect? I think you have everything that the alternator supplies fused anyway, as someone mentioned the other day every time you add a fuse its another point of failure/ reliability.

My 1967 Bedford CA has a single fuse and a thermal cut-out integrated to the light switch!

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Dave.

I think I shall leave it as it is.

I just had it in my head that every relay should have a fuse with it; regardless. Confused
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vague memory of relays that had an integral fuse; whether they were intended for car electrical systems I don't recall.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I have a vague memory of relays that had an integral fuse; whether they were intended for car electrical systems I don't recall.

I understand that the coil inside a relay can fail but it is not designed to. I think fuses are made so you can quickly see if it has blown but an ISO relay would need to be checked (or substituted). Mine have a diode built in which is to limit damage to sensitive electronics from voltage spikes (often overlooked when adding ordinary relays) and presumably something else that could fail.?

MY original question; if I need to add a fuse to protect the alternator was prompted by a muddled and confused idea regarding reverse polarity. There is also a risk that the ignition warning light lens (plastic) could melt if a resistance coli is missing - as is the case. I have a 12 volt 2 amp bulb and just HOPE it will be O.K.. Rolling Eyes I am thinking of fitting a low voltage torch bulb instead ...or add a separate resistor.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

I understand that the coil inside a relay can fail but it is not designed to. I think fuses are made so you can quickly see if it has blown but an ISO relay would need to be checked (or substituted). Mine have a diode built in which is to limit damage to sensitive electronics from voltage spikes (often overlooked when adding ordinary relays) and presumably something else that could fail.?

MY original question; if I need to add a fuse to protect the alternator was prompted by a muddled and confused idea regarding reverse polarity. There is also a risk that the ignition warning light lens (plastic) could melt if a resistance coli is missing - as is the case. I have a 12 volt 2 amp bulb and just HOPE it will be O.K.. Rolling Eyes I am thinking of fitting a low voltage torch bulb instead ...or add a separate resistor.

I hope you mean a 2W bulb! A 12V 2A bulb will light the interior up bright red---could be problematic at night!! Shocked Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

I hope you mean a 2W bulb! A 12V 2A bulb will light the interior up bright red---could be problematic at night!! Shocked Wink

Yes 2 watts. Idea
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, the ignition warning light is only illuminated when not charging, ie ignition on, engine static. Even at low charge rates there will be an opposing voltage coming from the field to dim it so the chance of it melting the indicator bezel is slim to the extreme.

Go and worry about fitting the wings and stop getting stressed over the electrics. You'll never sleep at night.
Having said that, I'm not getting a lot of kip at present as I'm learning to mig welder my Armstrong Siddeley wings and they're compley shape patches so it all goes round in my head when it reaches the pillow and I have those "eureka" moments at about 2.30 am, but have forgotten it again in the morning!
Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Peter. Without getting enough sleep I can't think straight !

Originally, the low level petrol warning light and matching ignition warning light used the same 2.5 Volt 0.5 Watt bulbs with a resistance coil wrapped around the bakelite bulb holder. I don't know for sure but I wondered if this also had something to do with the earthing of the sender unit in the presence of petrol?

Sometime in the distant past, I presume the resistor wire failed and a previous owner fitted a 12 volt 2 watt bulb to the low level petrol warning light and slightly 'melted' the plastic lens. I have been able to rescue the lens but I don't want the same thing to happen again.

I researched the problem and found that the same can happen with the ignition warning light. Modern replacement lights have the resistance coil wire but they cannot be relied on. They are also fitted with a 12 volt 2 watt bulb but as other owners have found, even they can generate enough heat to melt the plastic lens!.

As I said in my previous post, I can perhaps fit a low voltage, low wattage torch bulb and maybe a stand alone resistor which I have in stock.

I have had to rebuild all my dash lamps and in doing so tried - with the aid of a weak coil spring - to leave an 'air gap' between the bulb and the lens.

As you say, I should be getting on with the bodywork. I need to paint the tub and scuttle but I can't do that until I have all the electrics done because the dashboard will have a leather covering and I can't do that until I have the dashboard electrics finished.

I realise I am my own worst enemy because I have embarked on so many upgrades instead of sticking to the simple and basic. Rolling Eyes
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coils wound round warning lamps are just electrical resistance, the resistance limits the current to the bulb, in essence the bulbs are never operated at their "normal" voltage and current thus extending the bulb life. Also in the day the most robust filament bulbs were those used in hand torches, hence the 2.5v

Why do this? simply because they are warning lamps and they don't fail "safe", so you want to protect and maximise their life.

I suspect they were discontinued because Lucas had more failure with the delicate fine wire used for the coil! not to mention the cost.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
The coils wound round warning lamps are just electrical resistance, the resistance limits the current to the bulb, in essence the bulbs are never operated at their "normal" voltage and current thus extending the bulb life. Also in the day the most robust filament bulbs were those used in hand torches, hence the 2.5v

Why do this? simply because they are warning lamps and they don't fail "safe", so you want to protect and maximise their life.

I suspect they were discontinued because Lucas had more failure with the delicate fine wire used for the coil! not to mention the cost.

Dave

The bit that confuses me is that - as you say - the current is restricted TO the bulb.....but the coil is wired into the earth which I thought is AFTER the bulb filament.?

Then again, the ignition warning light gets it from both sides so even if it isn't earthed I don't see how the resistance works from both sides.

Sorry,,, but I don't know much about electrics. Embarassed
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulb and resistance coil are wired in series, doesn't matter which side of the bulb the coil is, the current will be the same in both components.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Bulb and resistance coil are wired in series, doesn't matter which side of the bulb the coil is, the current will be the same in both components.

SO, let me get this right.

"In series". i.e. one thing after another. How does the bulb get protected from the supply side if the resistance is AFTER it has left the filament and on it's way home.?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

SO, let me get this right.

"In series". i.e. one thing after another. How does the bulb get protected from the supply side if the resistance is AFTER it has left the filament and on it's way home.?

Ray think about it like this; if the resistance after the bulb to earth was really large (like an air gap) how bright would the bulb be?
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it wouldn't light up at all..?

I suppose what I am asking is why there isn't a resistor on BOTH sides of the bulb?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: