classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Jerry Cans
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Jerry Cans Reply with quote

WITHOUT doing a GOOGLE search.

Why is a Jerry can so named?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they were originally a German military idea
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know until I saw this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUkbGHFAhs

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
consul 57

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a company i worked for sold jerrycans and when i put in jerrycan in the search box to find the price and sell one it never came up, when i tackled the IT dept about this they said i spelt it wrong, they spelled it gerry can, silly sods, i got them to change it pretty damm quick.
i am surprised we are still allowed to call them that now!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Brother collects Jerry cans...his back wall of his shed has around 40-50 of them all neatly displayed.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
My Brother collects Jerry cans...his back wall of his shed has around 40-50 of them all neatly displayed.

Do you know if they are worth more as rusty original with traces of original paint and markings or fully restored?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've noticed is that old painted cans can still be around long after modern powder coated cans have rusted out... Confused

I have pretty much 0 faith in powder coating for giving protection to metals, IMO it's only suitable for decorative purposes.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Something I've noticed is that old painted cans can still be around long after modern powder coated cans have rusted out... Confused

I have pretty much 0 faith in powder coating for giving protection to metals, IMO it's only suitable for decorative purposes.

In some circles it is de rigueur to have your chassis powder coated...or the restoration is deemed below par.

When one of my visitors saw I had just painted my chassis black, he was decidedly sniffy. I responded that given my age, it would probably "see me out" whatever I did.

Neutral
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black powder coating on my Austin Seven wheels has not chipped yet and it was done 15 years ago. Admittedly an Austin Seven hardly moves very fast.

However, I was extremely careful when I fitted new tyres last year. With plenty of soap (and plenty of grunting) you can actually roll them on the rims without using tyre irons. (Provided you don't need to use your hands, wrists and fingers for a few hours afterwards!)

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
The black powder coating on my Austin Seven wheels has not chipped yet and it was done 15 years ago. Admittedly an Austin Seven hardly moves very fast.

However, I was extremely careful when I fitted new tyres last year. With plenty of soap (and plenty of grunting) you can actually roll them on the rims without using tyre irons. (Provided you don't need to use your hands, wrists and fingers for a few hours afterwards!)

Keith

Unfortunately, my poor hands are painful; especially my thumbs. If I try gripping anything, I can't release some of my fingers; so I shall not be fitting any tyres by hand. Sad
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:

Do you know if they are worth more as rusty original with traces of original paint and markings or fully restored?

If we find one with nice patina and some original markings or paint still intact we leave it that way. I just managed to find one in my local Reclamation yard, dated 1943, no holes and original paint...£15!!
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a young lad growing up we lived close to the vast old Inkerman Barracks. When the military moved out they left tons of WW2 stuff lying about. It was all totally worthless back then but if I had realised how WW2 relics would soar in price I could have made a fortune.!

All I have is an old ammo box that has gone rusty through being stored in my shed. Sad
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
When I was a young lad growing up we lived close to the vast old Inkerman Barracks. When the military moved out they left tons of WW2 stuff lying about. It was all totally worthless back then but if I had realised how WW2 relics would soar in price I could have made a fortune.!

All I have is an old ammo box that has gone rusty through being stored in my shed. Sad

I collect wartime dated tools and the like to display with our lorry, the way prices have soared for wartime equipment over the last few years is eye watering at times.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I collect wartime dated tools and the like to display with our lorry, the way prices have soared for wartime equipment over the last few years is eye watering at times.

After the War, Inkerman barracks was a 'de mob' centre. I once found a huge pile of brass buttons and buckles. It was where all the tunics were burned. At the bottom of the WW2 buttons were (bigger) WW1 ones. I collected enough to fill my pockets...but I have no idea what happened to them.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall my Father telling me that when he was a boy growing up in Wells, Somerset, he and his friends would watch goods trains come in loaded with military scrap . He said once of carriages coming in filled to the roofs with wartime British helmets for the scrap man, hundreds and thousands of them!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: