classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1951 Lanchester LD10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Vulgalour wrote:
I imagine that's like trying to put a cat in a box.

Putting a cat in a box is easy enough when you know how. Have the open end of the box facing up, hold the cat's hind paws in one hand and lower in tail first, then close the box fast. Then when you get to the vet's surgery the cat doesn't want to come out of the box... Laughing

Jean and I have run a Cattery for the past 22 years. That's pretty much how we do it with difficult cats.

Some, of course, are down right viscious!. Even Feliway doesn't have any effect. With that sort you need gauntlets and a bath towel.!! These days I tell the owners their pet doesn't like it here and they might like to try somewhere else!

Razz
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some, of course, are down right vicious!. Even Feliway doesn't have any effect. With that sort you need gauntlets and a bath towel.!! These days I tell the owners their pet doesn't like it here and they might like to try somewhere else!

I don't have any of those issues [any more!]!

I currently have one cat snoring downstairs, and one cat snoring upstairs.
I can say I have three [sometimes four] not-my-cats...

The advantage of having not-my-cats is that, all the above kerfuffling, vets bills, frontline subscriptions, etc, are the responsibility of 'er next door.
She gives a 'home' to ferals from Cats Protection....They start off by 'living' in her garage...but very quickly upgraded to her various bedrooms..
Now, 'er next door works full time [and a half] and spends more time out of her house than in it.
As a result, I get at least 3 of the 4 pretty much all day, and half the night, at mine.
The 4th comes around every morning for a glugg of milk...[yup, I know about lactose intolerance, but they all ask for it very nicely]

One, a young lad of the Felix sort, probably wasn't feral to begin with...and has become my son's 'bezzie mate!'....whenever son turns up, Felix makes a beeline for him. My son is 24...but is a 'gentle 'sort, and I think animals recognise this?

The others like to snooze on my bed....especially in this warm weather, as my house is fairly cool and draughty.
All except the Felix type also hunt for a large part of their daily grub [they get cat food put down next door]...
This I welcome, as it keeps the local rodent populations down...especially as there are loads of folk around & about keeping chickens and cockerels [many for show]...
I don't have a rat or rabbit problem...and there are often signs in my garden of a massacre...feathers and such like...always pigeons.
CAts do like 'company'...I find.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my cats, I don't miss the hair and the secret poops.

---

Time for another Lanchester video. I've left in the mistakes and misunderstandings I had at the time of recording this, since the video was made this forum and others have helped me understand better what's going on. It's all part of the process.

https://youtu.be/PzjQWo_d3iI
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lights update this time, with some success.

https://youtu.be/4qM83qISoyM

When I recorded the above I didn't know what the issue was, now I do. For the sake of video narrative, I'll let you know what the problem ended up being in the future. I'm a little behind on written updates, they will appear eventually, they just require a little more creative effort and energy than work and life have permitted of late.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364010959862 which has a couple of small items our car could do with and have contacted the seller. In an ideal world I'd buy the whole car and strip it at my leisure but I simply haven't the time or money to do that currently even though I do have a space on the drive it could occupy. Certainly made me feel a lot better about the condition of our car.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Lanchester video for you. When it arrived, the interior light didn't work, in this video we investigate why and, happily, get it working.

https://youtu.be/pyI4dll_W0c
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/PzjQWo_d3iI

More rewiring. I've actually learned a few things since recording this so some of the mistakes you might see could well be rectified already. First thing was to get more of the bullet connector sleeves that aren't provided with the harness, I was just waiting on a replacement bullet for the one that fell off here.

Then a case of figuring out what wires do what. This purple-black with a white-red inside is for the brake switch, it turns out.

That comes out under the driver's side front footwell where the brake switch lives.

The other two purple-black both have a plain white inside, one of which is for the wiper and one of which is for the horn. Happily the wiring for the wiper is pretty close to the wiring I'm trying to identify so doing a continuity test to work out which is which won't be too difficult.

Then I found out the battery in my multimeter had died and being an A23G it wasn't one I happened to have a spare of. Rather than let that stop me, I moved on to a different job, namely the dim-dip switch.

This was one of the items where the original wiring on the back of the switch matched the colours on the wiring diagram I was using so that made life a bit easier. I did each wire individually before moving to the next one so I didn't get anything muddled, I knew the switch worked so the wiring on it should be correct. The connectors are an open spade connector so you just slacking the screw, slide the spade connecter in, and tighten the screw down. Aside from the awkward access since you're in the footwell to do this, it actually went quite smoothly. The plate bolts to a cross beam but because it's nuts and bolts that aren't captive, it's a two person job to reinstate it. I couldn't get tools to stay wedged to do it up myself and my arms simply weren't long enough to reach both sides simultaneously.

I then spent some time identifying what wires went were and trying to get all of the instrument panel wired up properly. Not the easiest job to record or do as access isn't the best and removing the cluster from the dashboard didn't really give any better access due to wire lengths.

One issue I did encounter was the telltales for oil and ignition had yellow wires with bullet connectors on that couldn't reach anything else on the wiring, including each other, and the two wires that were probably to feed them had ring connectors on. Initially I didn't know what the problem was with this and when I found it, I was a little bit disappointed.

The new battery for the multimeter was got so I could do a continuity test and figure out which wire was for the wiper motor, and then I connected all the wiring to the voltage regulator in the way I thought was correct according to the information I had at the time.

I also figured out the flasher cans (that were provided) go on the custom wiring spur for the indicators. Whether this means the semphores are going to flap in and out in time to the indicator flash or not, I don't know. Some people think they will, some think they won't, but I can't see how you'd provide power to activate them and flash the bulb without deactivating the power to them. Maybe the flash rate is such that the arms stay stuck out but the bulb flashes, I won't know until I test them.

I figured out what was amiss with the telltale bulb holder wiring too. Not only did the new bulb holders not like to stay in the instrument binnacle, they didn't actually have the correct provision as standard for the wiring. There's probably some way to modify or complete the wiring provided to make them work, instead I opted to fit the old known good holders to the new harness. This did then resolve the connectivity issues. The old holders have an additional tang on the side with a screw which allows you to connect those eyelets that I couldn't connect to the new wiring, it also did away with the mystery of the bullet connectors and where they're supposed to go.

It was then a case of reinstalling all of the spaghetti, including the ignition switch wiring, to get everything ready to go.

Another thing to do is to connect the harness inside the car to the harness that comes in from outside the car. Again, not enough sleeve connectors provided for this so I had to acquire more for that

The last thing was to see what happened when I turned the ignition switch on and, happily, the oil and ignition light came on like they should, the fuel guage jumped to full (it's not actually connected, but it's good it moved) but the panel lights didn't come on as I didn't have that fully connected yet. Progress at least.
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Flashers/semaphore indicators Reply with quote

There are now bulbs available in UK for semaphores which flash without the arm going up and down with each flash.
Miken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired my A40's semaphores and indicators to this simple diagram.
It all works well.
Flashing LED's and its even better.

http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/A30/Images/ind_a30.jpg
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the flashing LED Bulb replacements in the trafficators and managed to wire the system with only one relay, used as a double pole changeover switch. Can't remember how I did it now but it saved quite a bit of extra wiring, but there are two plug in diodes involved.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your existing trafficators are working correctly, you should be able to fit these LEDs without any wiring changes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183773051711?hash=item2ac9ba3b3f:g:TzEAAOSwJY5jj4LD&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsNvdhjvHN0D7uZYumjN9w%2BQ64nT4twjvyeSUfIkO7DcKwX3zFiV5sXQy1yGFPm3FBBYfUMeWr%2FYZjNP4OkxdREshBpdW%2FBPnyGh6PoWdpRD4FnMSLV%2Bj3BLK2xl1Rg3AQpBEe7IFsHDRL35azSGt8ltaLBbaEzZ5vlWIxGSlsDxv1d9i4DF44%2FOJEaz2VAZh2NgRzPwcmUHpGPGXbRuClDtrwDU5H%2BUDRxLLatZPfzdc%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4r47IufYQ
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat's AMAZING!!

I remember when my Father in Law wired up my A30 for flashing indicators he disconnected the traficators.

I was sorry to loose them as they were one of the quaint things that I liked about the car.

Not very practical though.

These little bulbs would have been ideal.

Best of both worlds. I ought to buy some for possible future use.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think semaphores with flashing bulbs are better than non flashing and are probably useful at night but I wouldn't trust other motorists to see them during the day, they just aren't bright enough.

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm

Peter.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I think semaphores with flashing bulbs are better than non flashing and are probably useful at night but I wouldn't trust other motorists to see them during the day, they just aren't bright enough.

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm

Peter.

I presume they would be used in conjunction with flashing amber lights front and rear?
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I presume they would be used in conjunction with flashing amber lights front and rear?

Not in my case.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 32 of 40

Jump to: