classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117, 118  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last month or two we have been clearing a section of our yard to put up a portable shelter for one of the projects, its been an awful lot of physical work clearing stuff thats been collected over years not to mention 20-30 ft deep of brambles!!

Anyway, this last weekend we got to moving my Fathers 1967 Cortina 1600E shell, its the first time its been uncovered from its sheets in around 10 years! And remarkably she was bone dry inside and although rough she's very restorable. We have a shed full of doors and body panels etc and the engine was removed many years back and is in my Fathers garage.

After all the help he has given me over the last few years its the least I can do to now get on with the body repairs for his 1600E.
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an MOT on the modern daily, so I actually managed to get back to working on the project after a few weeks messing around, just trying to replace the last parts of the tailgate rain channel where it's three layers spot welded together.
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a fortnight of heat wave we have experienced a nice cool spring day today so I replaced the serpentine and A/C belts on the Z3. Thanks to youtuibe it turned out much easier than I had anticipated. I didn't have to change the tension pulleys, they are both in good condition. Now I can relax when I'm driving it!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally made the descision to move the Austin Seven on. My wife can longer fold herself up enough to get in and out of it. When I sell a car I like to do so with a clear conscience, so I have spent the day starting a few jobs that needed fixing.

The crank handle was no longer cranking. One pressed it into the dogs but nothing happened. I expected a broken pin where it engages the dogs. but horror of horrors, I found that the pin had actually dropped out! It had fallen into the bottom of the nose cone and remained almost within touching distance of the crankshaft gear. Had it caught and been flung between the crankshaft and camshaft gears I would have been building a new engine. I was very lucky. The pin has now been replaced with a grove in the centre and a locking set-screw drilled and tapped into the end of the handle shaft securing the pin in place, rather like a gudgeon pin.

While I had the front of the engine apart, I removed the generator to check its failure to produce amps. It had not been charging until everything warmed up, but recently it has not been charging at all. A visual inspection without stripping it completely down, shows everything as it should be, so I have used an electrical contact cleaner to throroughly clean all the oily crud out of it. I hope this will get it working again satisfactory. I will of course check this when the radiator is back in again and the engine retimed. If this has not fixed the problem, then the genny will have to come out again.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be an extreme stretched Defender, however according to DVLA it is a 2 AXLE RIGID BODY. So do you think it is a photoshop product, the mods haven't been reported, or it has been de-modded since the photo.
http://tinyurl.com/StretchDefender

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
This appears to be an extreme stretched Defender, however according to DVLA it is a 2 AXLE RIGID BODY. So do you think it is a photoshop product, the mods haven't been reported, or it has been de-modded since the photo.
http://tinyurl.com/StretchDefender

I think it is one of the six wheel Land Rovers that were built to special order.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise I had put this in the wrong thread.
Ray: if it is one of those then surely DVLA would have it as a 3 Axle Rigid Body. I have just checked a different vehicle's reg on the DVLA site and that does show 3 Axle

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
I didn't realise I had put this in the wrong thread.
Ray: if it is one of those then surely DVLA would have it as a 3 Axle Rigid Body. I have just checked a different vehicle's reg on the DVLA site and that does show 3 Axle

It wouldn't be the first time the DVLA got it wrong. The number of mistakes they make is mind boggling. Surprised
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent ages trying to find a suitable container to soak a 2' long section of rain gutter from my C pillar in citric acid, prior to fixing the holes and sticking it back on. I found a couple of things that would take a 1'11" piece, but nothing suitable, so I sawed it in half. Most of the rust has come off overnight, but there are a few stubborn bits so I'll look again tomorrow, and maybe leave it soaking until Tuesday.

Fixed the interior light on my "modern" - this periodically stops working, and it's down to dry joints in the light circuit board. I go to lever the light housing out of the roof, and the movement makes the circuit, and I get a few months out of it. I did that again today, and it's working again. I can't help feeling that one day I'll have to fix it properly.

In between stuff, I'm trying to tidy up the shed because I might have another project coming.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:

In between stuff, I'm trying to tidy up the shed because I might have another project coming.

Teasing us a bit there Mike!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get the rear brake drum off the Morris today. The car last ran around six or seven years ago, and was driven back into the garage and the handbrake applied. Now I'm trying to get it running again, and of course one side was stuck. Added to that it's in a smaller garage than I'm used to working in, so it's been a fiddle.

It's freed off now, and I've backed off the adjuster a bit, but in removing things I've managed to damage the retaining clips so I'll have to get some replacements from the shed. They look pretty much the same as the ones on my Vauxhalls, so I should have some.

(No, this isn't the possible other project I was referring to.)
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we didn't have enough time but locally yesterday the bus service between Street-Wells-Bristol was replaced by Vintage buses, all free travel too.

We passed Wells Bus station and there was a good range of vintage buses from a nice 1950's Bristol Single decker through to a National Express coach from the late 1960's.
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few weeks we have been sorting and clearing some room in the shed. So, today we now have space to complete the rebuild of our 1955 Minx engine.

Today we spent sorting parts and fitting new piston rings and heating the pistons to remove the gudgeon pins.
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the shed yesterday (Sunday) with the intention of finishing off a couple of repair panels that I'm making for someone else, but it was too cold to think of touching metal. I moved a few things around to keep them dry (there are drips of condensation if the metal structure of the shed gets very cold) and came back home. Hopefully I'll feel more like it this afternoon.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Spent ages trying to find a suitable container to soak a 2' long section of rain gutter from my C pillar in citric acid, prior to fixing the holes and sticking it back on. I found a couple of things that would take a 1'11" piece, but nothing suitable, so I sawed it in half. Most of the rust has come off overnight, but there are a few stubborn bits so I'll look again tomorrow, and maybe leave it soaking until Tuesday.

I understand you've sorted it now, but a metre length of 100mm soil pipe with one end capped comes to mind. I have a piece fixed to the wall in my garage, not for soaking stuff but for storing pry bars, tyre levers and suchlike that take up little room standing on end... but don't like staying upright!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117, 118  Next
Page 116 of 118

Jump to: