classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brake line flaring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
dalbuie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I don't know if it was that cupro-nickel refered to earlier but I watched my local mechanic when he was replacing the corroded rear brake pipes on my previous school car and was quite impressed by the ease with which it was straightened and then bent to follow the correct line through all the clips, much easier to fit than a prebent rigid pipe when having to get over and round axles and other obstructions.
Incidently that car finished up with a mixed system, part steel part C-N as he didn't disturb the on corroded down sections, just joined on where they started to run under floor, and I think he used the original threaded fittings.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalbuie, one place in the UK that you can try is Rodley Motors. They have been dealing with US vehicles since before WW2...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of UK suppliers

http://www.clarik.co.uk/shop/index.php?mod=category&id_ctg=352

http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_line_shop_Metal_brake_tube___fittings_139.html

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most British cars up to the mid 70's used 3/16th pipe and 3/8th UNF thread fittings. Morris Minors did not!

Then the change over to metric brought all sorts of permutations on cars of the same model through its production span . OE replacements were often metric to confuse this even more especailly where PO's had "upgraded" their cars.

The best tubing to use is called Kunifer which is a copper/nickel alloy and is very much harder than steel Bundy or plain copper which is still legal and readily obtainable despite its shortcomings
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget the biggest shortfall with Cupro nickel or Kunifer. If you dont use brass fittings, it will corrode just as quickly as bundy tubing.

So really, the choice of tubing is not whether steel or kunifer is best, its which fittings are available.

The one thing I do wonder about though, is why copper tubing has not been banned yet?
dalbuie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ,

I believe what you are saying and will make sure I get brass fittings, but if this is so critical I was wondering how this isn't stated on any of the sites I've been trawling around trying to find the parts.

Many of the suppliers, including racing and aero sites supply Kunifer pipe and stainless steel connections.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really looked into stainless fittings, or aluminium for that matter. Theoretically, stainless and aluminium are antogonistic. so if you have alloy cylinders (doubtful) there could be a problem there. Although having said that, look at the amount of bikers that fit stainless bolts into aluminium without problems....

The trouble is, a lot of dealers are simply out to make a profit, and dont really look into the details much. Neither for that matter do a lot of restorers!

There is one point about flaring that not many people realise. There are two flares in use, 37 deg. and 45 deg. How many dealers mention that?

By my way of thinking, brakes are one of the most important parts of the vehicle, and I like them to be as perfect as possible.
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered, with my boating activities, that while stainless steel and ali normally give little trouble. If you add a third element: salt water, the results are disasterous.

Don.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin, what are your opinions on the subject of brake line material Regarding the ally/stainless corrosion issue, it will be even worse if you go sailing in hot water....
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
Dont forget the biggest shortfall with Cupro nickel or Kunifer. If you dont use brass fittings, it will corrode just as quickly as bundy tubing.

UJ, never heard of or experienced a problem using plated steel fittings on copper nickel pipe?

If you use zinc plated fittings on copper and there is corrosion if I remember correctly (sorry Mr Fisher my old Chemistry teacher if I have got this wrong! Embarassed ) but copper being more noble that zinc will result (if anything) in the zinc plating corroding, and then as steel and copper are so close, not a lot else will be going on?

I suspect most of the fittings today are nickel plated anyway.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: