classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Typical government?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Typical government? Reply with quote

Isnt this just typical of a government?

In the year 1718, right hand traffic was made law in Sweden.

In 1734, this was changed to left hand traffic.

In 1927, a possible change to right hand traffic was investigated by the swedish government.

This was repeated in 1934, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1945, 1953, and 1954.

In 1955, a referendum was held. 82.9% will keep left hand traffic.

On September 3, 1967, Right hand traffic was brought into force!
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst everyone knows that it's more sensible to have your sword hand to the outside of the vehicle, for reasons of economic success you just can't buck the trends of your more powerful neighbours.

Peter Wink
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If fuel prices keep on rising, then the whole world will go back to left hand traffic. They will have to do, so that we can get on our horses easier!
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The overnight change was accompanied by a much reduced statutory speed limit for about a month along with headlights on while moving.

The headlight rule stayed in force for the first year and the accident reduction figures were so good it was turned in to a compulsory "driving lamp while moving" law.

Hence Volvo's lights on regime even now, I don't know why Saab don't also use it on export models.

Some Volvos had double filament bulbs in the side/parking light (Bright for driving, dull for parking) The 440 used a dim/dip system with lights turned off or on sides and my current V40 uses dipped beam with sides only available if the switch is at the sidelight position.
One advantage of the V40 set up is that when parking (engine off) on a road requiring lights on, the dash and Number plate lights go out thus reducing the total current useage.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a swedish page in front of me regarding this topic. On it is stated the following. Translated of course!

Along the roads, diamond shaped signs with a yellow letter H on were erected. This was to remind motorists to keep to the right. (The swedish word for right is ''höger''). At 04:45 on Sunday, September 3 1967, all vehicles stopped on the lefthand side of the road. After a short pause, all road users carefully moved their vehicles to the righthand side. They waited there until 05:00. The countdown to this was on the radio. After that, it was righthand traffic.

Immediately afterwards, traffic laws were very strictly enforced. To do this, there were about 10 300 police and military, and also roughly 50 000 others.

There were also quite a few temporary rules brought in force!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding to this topic.

Here is a photo taken on the changeover morning. Its Kungsgatan in Stockholm. Looks like chaos!

Regarding speed limits and daytime lights:

The majority of roads prior to the changeover had no speed limits. Prior to this, the only speed limit signs were 50kmh (30mph) when entering built up areas. After the changeover, known as H-Day, temporary speed limits were introduced. 50kmh limits were reduced to 40kmh. Motorways got 90kmh (55mph) other roads 70kmh (40mph).

Motorists were recommended to drive with dipped headlights.

In 1977, a law was passed to make daytime dipped headlights compulsory. In 1981, due to motorists complaints, this was changed to ‘warning lights’
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a European thing, didn't the Italians change sides in 1943 too...oh no...that was something else! Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope none of my italian friends see this comment, but didnt they do it in reverse?

That comment reminds me of the war, and the fact that after Easter, I will be going down to Hamburg again. Staying in the same area that RAF Bomber Command paid an infamous visit to on July 27 1943...I'm not going to speak english though, just swedish ''just in case''!!!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: