classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Whitewall tyres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Whitewall tyres. Reply with quote

Most people associate whitewall tyres with continental motors but I quite like the effect when fitted to the more sober British models.

Does anyone in the UK supply whitewall tyres in family saloon sizes as opposed to the large US type tyres?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-N, my usual contact here has them in normal sizes, they are crossplies though.

I've had a few queries from different forum members regarding whitewall tyres / odd tyres. If everyone who has asked buys, then we should be in line for a good discount, and relatively cheap shipping....I'm willing to take care of this end if there is enough interest.... Very Happy
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UJ.

Unfortunately I don't want crossply tyres, lights, brakes and tyres are the only concession to modern technology that I'll use on a classic as they are 'safety' improvements.

Maybe there are radials out there?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in rare cases, fitting radials can be more dangerous than crossplies, as they load up the suspension components more than is the case with crossplies, and therefore exact greater loads through the suspension components than they were designed for. I've seen photos of A40 Farina wheels that had cracked between the stud holes, and this was put down to the extra loads passed through the rim by the extra grippiness of radials.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try
www.longstonetyres.co.uk
or www.vintagetyres.com I know these ones sell the whitwall insert they look very good too

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same story here as oldnail, i prefer radials and since i m fitting them to a 1970 car radials will look ok and i beleive could be specified when the car was ordered new!!
however i want the white band (narrow white wall) not the wide ones and am having some trouble finding them!!
A cousin of mine who is after the same thing for his 1969 fiat 124 saloon found a paint whic h is claimed to be very flexible and rubbery and looks quite good but I would prefer fitting a trim rather than paint the tire cause it can be put on another tire in caseanything happens to the existing ones!!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some of that paint bob but I sold it without ever using it so I can't comment on if it was any good or not, I think it must be because a very small tin (250ml) cost £25.00.

I look at pictures of continental cars which are also imported to the UK and I see they are quite often wearing whitewalls so they must be easier to get in France say, than here.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think twas somewhere in holland or sweden and cost 25 dollars
think its the same paint!!
Hey oldnail you seem to buy and sell everything u get, wonder u havent sold the missus yet Laughing
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey oldnail you seem to buy and sell everything u get, wonder u havent sold the missus yet Laughing

I've never sold a wife... just traded one in for a younger model Wink
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats somehow better though after a couple of years you're on with the same problem again !! Laughing
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the voice of experience bob2 Laughing you're right of course, but before the ladies of this forum decide to lynch me I have to add that I am VERY hard work to be with.. apparently Embarassed Laughing

Maybe they're better off without me Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a couple of little additions to Ricks warning about substituting crossplies with radials.

Some manufacturers recommended years ago that radials should not be fitted to certain models as they made the handling dangerously unsafe.

Radial sidewalls are softer than crosplies. This means that in effect, they soften the suspension. Now, whilst this may sound like a good idea on some cars, it can in practice mean that both the springs and shock absorbers need stiffening to compensate.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points UJ.
I had heard of the wheel nut area stress fractures due to the increased loading but not those points you raise.

Wouldn't these caveats apply to vehicles driven at a more 'spirited' pace?
I would think that most of us treat our classics with perhaps more care and consideration than the original owners would have when driving them, so the speeds and stresses applied may well be proportionately less.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect so, O-N. Although having said that, the way that I found out about this point originally was when I was looking at a Parts Master Catalogue for my Lincoln. Thats hardly a car that has ever been driven fast.

Afterwards, I did a bit of research, and came up with the points I mentioned.

I did have one other thought though on the subject. I dont remember that your beloved 2CV's have ever been fitted with crossplies, have they? So maybe, with their (what I regard as) soft suspension, they are the exeption that proves the rule?
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did think of that.

I do hope to buy a 50's saloon at some point this year in addition to the 2cv and it was for that reason the enquiry was made.

I read in 'Practical classics' magazine a while back that the fitting of radials to the Standard 10, which was one of the types I'm considering, improved road holding and ride considerably

It makes you wonder if they made that statement as a result of practical experience or journalistic license as it were!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: